1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA lit top set

Discussion in 'English' started by j_pink, Feb 23, 2011.

1. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Hi, I am due to teach a lesson teaching AQA literature poetry to a top set. This is for an observed lesson and I am an NQT. Please can you offer any guidance on the following ideas for my lesson?
    Starter: Read poem. Circle emotive words, circle punctuation that might convey emotion. Finally, try to summarise what you think the overall theme to this poem is at first reading.
    Group reading, discussion and teacher explain content of poem further with targeted questioning.
    Main: Students are given criteria for reaching a grade A/B answer in exam. Together, look at an example of a detailed answer and consider how comments have been extended to mkae a more in depth answer. Students have a go at answering a question using extended comments with quotation and cross-referencing to another poem.
    Plenary: Peer assessment using "A grade" checklists distributed around class during starter. Fill in what peer student could do to improve their answer.
    Students successful in using A grade criteria (extended answers and cross referencing) to receive a gold star on checklists or similar.
    How does this sound? Any ideas on how to change/improve most welcome.

2. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Hi, I am due to teach a lesson teaching AQA literature poetry to a top set. This is for an observed lesson and I am an NQT. Please can you offer any guidance on the following ideas for my lesson?
    Starter: Read poem. Circle emotive words, circle punctuation that might convey emotion. Finally, try to summarise what you think the overall theme to this poem is at first reading.
    Group reading, discussion and teacher explain content of poem further with targeted questioning.
    Main: Students are given criteria for reaching a grade A/B answer in exam. Together, look at an example of a detailed answer and consider how comments have been extended to mkae a more in depth answer. Students have a go at answering a question using extended comments with quotation and cross-referencing to another poem.
    Plenary: Peer assessment using "A grade" checklists distributed around class during starter. Fill in what peer student could do to improve their answer.
    Students successful in using A grade criteria (extended answers and cross referencing) to receive a gold star on checklists or similar.
    How does this sound? Any ideas on how to change/improve most welcome.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

You can download performances of pretty much any poem from YouTube, which the students could use during the intro - which one are you going to do?
    Do you have an IWB? 'Good' lessons and above really need some IT content.

4. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Great idea - I was also going to use the smart board to annotate a few of students' ideas. I wanted to keep a PPT slide up during the main activity to show a useful word bank.

5. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

But also - can't believe that Good lessons and above need IT content! Some of the most boring lessons I've watched during training have PPT after PPT - and some of the best include teachers using interactive objects, games etc.

6. gruoch

Well, it's in the Ofsted guidelines used by my school. I'm bound to fail as my IWB is broken beyond repair, apparently.

7. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

If you find a video clip on Youtube you can convert it into a wmv file on Zamzar - simply copy the link on Youtube, paste it into the URL space, select wmv and then you can save a copy. By doing this, you can insert it directly into the PowerPoint and it should start automatically when you turn the page. Simple but impressive!
    Hope the lesson goes well :D

8. Well, not really. Also, sorry to contradict you but it isn't in the Ofsted guidelines that ICT=good. Appropriate use of ICT is good, as is appropriate use of a pencil and flashcards. ICT is only ever a resource for learning as are other resources. The misuse of ICT can actually be detrimental to the lesson quality.
    IWBs are a case in question. How often are they actually used interactively and how often are they just used as a big telly?

9. gruoch

I wasn't suggesting that big telly use is a good one.
    I don't like IWBs at all, as it happens, so am not at all distressed that mine is broken.

10. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I see what you're saying Gruoch. That using the IWB, say for an interactive poetry starter that involves the whole class can be fruitful to my lesson and highlight the skills I have as a teacher in using many a different type of resource. I will try to incorporate this.
    Does anyone have any comments on the actual activities I have planned please? Is this enough content for the lesson or too much?

11. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Obviously I don't know what you've done previously with the group and how they are used to approaching poetry. I assume from your starter that this is a new poem they've not studied before? I've found the best way into poetry (I'm in my second year of teaching, and I've found my year 10s this year 'get' poetry much more than the two groups of year 11s I've had so far, using my new way of approaching it) is to get them to consider the theme/emotion first, before finding the techniques (emotive language/punctuation etc). That way they don't technique spot and end up with nothing to say about the poem itself.

Re: the ICT debate, our department would fail Ofsted if that was the case considering we only have 4 IWBs, 1 remote control and 3 IWB pens between a department of 10.