1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Linear Maths GCSE - time allowed for the papers.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Incommunicado, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

This year I sat the AQA Linear Maths GCSE papers after completing a 1-year course in Adult Ed, primarily to get updated on some current topics that I didn't do at school (where I passed O-Level one year early) - topics such as Vectors, Probability and Data Handling (Cumulative Frequency charts, Histograms etc).

Despite feeling that I coped more than adequately with the papers for the purpose of achieving a top grade, I found myself needing every single minute of the I and a half hours (Paper 1: Non-calculator), and 2 hours, (with Calculator). Each time I had to abandon the last question I was attempting when 'Time Up' was called. I was very surprised that the time allocation was deemed sufficient for candidates to answer all questions, with time to check their work.

Can I ask the opinion of others, on this matter, who are familiar with this GCSE ? Thanks in advance !

2. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

You need to okay the exam game. 2 marks means 1 line of working and 1 answer. If you give full explanations, you are wasting your time. Gone are the days when rigorous answers were required.

That, and you are well old so you work more slowly. :)

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Not quite - O-levels ran until 1987, and a 15 year old then would be 43 now. And 43 is not "well old".