1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Linear exams

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by noemie, Jan 26, 2012.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I think there's been a lot of confusion over all of this terminal exam stuff.
    All it means (in my understanding) is that your students can only submit their work once. I.e. your controlled assessments must all be banked in one go, so no submitting in January then re-submitting in June, you choose one session and that's it. Or am I wrong?

2. No, that is exactly my understanding as well. When you actually take the controlled assessments doesn't seem to matter, as long as they only submitted once at the end of the course.

3. <font face="Calibri">Hi, I noticed that you have some questions about the changes to GCSE Languages as a result of the GCSE reforms from modular to linear. We&rsquo;re sorry if it wasn&rsquo;t clear in our email. The current GCSE will continue to have Controlled Assessment for students starting a GCSE course in September 2012 onwards. </font><font face="Calibri">Summer 2013 will be the final assessment session when students can take GCSE MFL in a modular structure. After Summer 2013, the structure will become linear and all four units must be taken at the end of the course. Controlled assessment tasks can still be done at any time during the course, but must be submitted at the end of the course. This means that students who apply for certification in Summer 2014 will be required to enter for all four units at the end of the course, ie in June 2014. Further information on the changes can be found the following link:</font> <font size="3" face="Calibri">http://web.aqa.org.uk/ofqual-consultation.php</font>I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me at <font size="3" face="Calibri">mfl@aqa.org.uk</font><font face="Calibri">Judith Rowland-Jones, AQA Senior Subject Manager for Languages</font>

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Thanks for the clarification. It really would be better if we could rid ourselves of controlled assessment completely and go back to speaking and writing exams.

5. Hear hear! It is a shame that the hope of the AQA level 2 certificate seems to have gone off the horizon. I hope they hurry up and approve the IGCSE for state schools. Was ever an innovation in examining so despised as CAs? Why won't they listen to us?

6. chriszwinter1

Can't think of one.
    Because it would mean a return to honesty, and we can't have that, can we now?

7. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I believe that AQA will be offering a certificate with no CAs and terminal exams in writing and speaking as well as reading and listening as soon as and as long as it gets approval from the powers that be. I must be in a minority on this forum in quite liking CAs for writing as it has allowed some of my weaker and less condident students to perform well with a known task and lots of relevant preparation in stage 1.

8. chriszwinter1

If CAs were conducted as they are supposed to be, there would be no problem. The trouble is that some SMTs aren't interested in integrity but in results. That means that in the case of pupils who underperform every chance should be given to do the CAs again and again and again, with ever increasing intervention from the staff to the point where they are writing them for the pupils who simply have to put their name to them.
    If a teacher gets caught doing that, then all hell breaks loose. If a teacher refuses to do that, ditto. There is a world of difference between being a teacher and an examiner. I don't think we'd be happy to entrust ourselves to doctors, dentists or solicitors whose qualifications were not 100% reliable.
    A CA should be nothing more than an internal exam and once done held by the exams department until the date for submission to AQA.