1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Level 3 applied science unit 5 Investigating science

Discussion in 'Science' started by 71loobylou, Jun 11, 2019.

1. 71loobylou

71loobylou New commenter

I am teaching this course for the first time and have found AQA less than helpful and the specification vague to say the least! Obviously I am about to start the students on unit 5 and there is absolutely no exemplar material provided by the exam board. I was wondering if anyone out there has any guidance, support, resources, experience or advice about how to get my students to access and tackle this unit. I know there are suggested investigations but in theory they can come up with their own scenario/question for investigation.
    It seems that AQA have made this particular unit very open for the students without providing any clear guidance to those of us in the "hot seat" trying to guide them successfully.

2. caribqueen

caribqueen New commenter

I am in the same position here
    I am thinking of having them do a fermentation investigation- making beer
    just need to know where to start ....

3. 71loobylou

71loobylou New commenter

At least on the AQA website there is a assignment brief for that one which includes a scenario. I am busy modelling from this to come up with a similar document for the shampoo and reaction time topics. I know the idea is to give the students freedom, but us teachers need more clarification of what is actually expected - without a marked exemplar it is purely guess work. So frustrating that this course has been given so little thought and a textbook would help with delivery because what does the unit 1 physics statement; "inertia" actually expect me to teach about it!

4. Jeroniymo

Jeroniymo New commenter

Hi
    We have a facebook group for this ..... AQA Applied General in Science .... Search that and ask to join ... it was set up for just this reason .... to bring teachers together

I have multiple conversations and clarifications from the exam board and am happy to assist.

Intertia - Just the definition and factors that affect

Unit 5 - is actually really easy, but choosing the best option is key
    Shampoos - can be hard to get enough detailled and valid data to hit some of the ditinction points
    Fermentation - Fine as long as you use the bubble moving along a capillary tube method - otherwise not classified as level 3 appropriate
    Reaction Times - The amount of data needed to get enough to fully analyse and hit distinction is a lot

I do the electro-chemical cells which is a safe bet - I am happy to support on individual criteria and am also in contact with head of science

5. harrietball75

harrietball75 New commenter

Jeroniymo I can't find this group is it still set up?

6. Jeroniymo

Jeroniymo New commenter

yes it is …. its called Applied General in Science Support …. I'm on it now