1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Law AS - are you happy with your results?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by voodoo child, Aug 24, 2011.

1. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Since the new format for the AS exams, especially unit 2, we have had poor results. Anyone else have the same or are you doing OK?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hi voodoo child,

Our results have really improved this year, with 80% achieving a C or above.The first year of the new AS format was dreadful though, with lots of u's all around.

3. Just came across your message from August. We have had similar problems and seem to be playing 'catch up' after each set of exam trying to get a sense of what the examiner is looking for. The main problem is the ludicrously short time for each question which seems to work against weak students on the one hand and yet doesn't allow the more able students to demonstrate their understanding.
    The tort questions also seem to be marked more harshly - check out the AQA enhanced result data on this. The mark scheme and examiners reports also seem much more prescriptive than in the past. The examiner is very particular about how certain things are explained e.g. strict liability. There is also a much greater emphasis on application and demonstrating how the facts of cases illustrate a principle. It doesn't seem to be enough to cite the case (as in A2).
    My advice is cut back on what you teach and do a lot of timed questions. It will be interesting to see whether the new 12 mark Unit 2 paper makes any difference. We may change exam boards if things don't improve - although we like the AQA specification more than any other.
    Good Luck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hi,

I haven't heard of this new 12 mark question so looked at the update on the aqa website:

LAW02 - The Concept of Liability
    'In response to teacher and student feedback, we are reducing the number of tasks students have to attempt on LAW02. From January 2012, students answer six questions for criminal law and six questions for civil law. The style of questions and maximum mark for each section remain unchanged'.

Where did you hear of the new 12 mark question - was that from a recent inset? Thanks

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

just to add, i would second what you said about adding some fleeting info about the facts of the case to bump up marks. It's a difficult skill under the strict timings,and does need lots of practise.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

just to add, i would second what you said about adding some fleeting info about the facts of the case to bump up marks. It's a difficult skill under the strict timings,and does need lots of practise.
    Although my group's grades were good overall, they scored appallingly on the tort scenario questions.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

sorry - not got the hang of editing yet :)

8. Sorry about confusion over reference to '12 mark question'. The comment meant to read moving from a 14 question to a 12 question format.
    My concern is that writing concise answers in 7 minutes is a skill that takes time to develop. It makes a real difference to what a student can write if they are given another two or even 3 minutes. I wonder whether the Board is aware of how difficult these questions are?
    Personally, I can't distinguish between a Sound response and a Clear response and I doubt whether the examiners are consistent in how they interpret answers. It is an even closer margin on Law01 where the pass mark is higher and they have to squeeze in A to E between over the space of 5 marks. Students need 5 out of 10 to pass the exam (to get an E!!)