1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Language Paper

Discussion in 'English' started by vmarshall93, Nov 11, 2017.

1. vmarshall93

vmarshall93 New commenter

I am new to teaching the AQA English Language paper and I’m currently struggling for ideas: I have a fairly able Year 11 class who should all be achieving at least a grade 5 or above. I’m currently teaching Section A of Paper 1 and I’m struggling for creative ideas that go beyond simply giving them an extract, highlighting and annotating ideas which are relevant to a question before planning or writing a response. I’m looking for engaging approaches as I feel my lessons can become too predictable.

Thanks in advance.

2. Oliviae2012

Oliviae2012 New commenter

Hiya - I agree it's incredibly dull for them! As Q5 is key to them passing, I have simply created lessons that allow them to analyse extracts for language, structure etc and then use them in their creative writing. As they are Year 11 they should now be practising this to time anyway, so this should really only take them 10 - 15 minutes of the lesson. I do Q1 as starters to each lesson too to get that out of the way.
    So if you are looking at question 3, you may then decide to get them to focus on how they write their beginning or how they plan each paragraph?