1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Language Paper 1 - where to talk about punctuation?

Discussion in 'English' started by lighthouse_keeper, Feb 25, 2018.

1. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Traditionally I've always placed punctuation in the "structure" box but then sentence structure was also placed here, and now AQA ask students to comment on this in the language question of Paper 1. As Q3 is a question of structure for the text as a whole, should students be looking at punctuation as part of sentence level analysis in Q2?
    Your thoughts are appreciated, thank you!
    LHK

2. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

It depends - if the focus is language then you can talk about it in questions one - if the focus of the punctuation is structural then question 3. Of course in question 4, candidates can write about whatever they want. This question is excellent for differentiation but also for the freedom that candidates have.

3. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

I’ve told my mid set not to write about punctuation anywhere. It never seems to go well!

4. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New commenter

I agree with Tangalle, even A Level English Language students make a complete hash of talking about punctuation. Avoid it.