1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Language and Literature

Discussion in 'English' started by english.teacher, Mar 18, 2012.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

So, I phoned the board last week because we've got two students with ME and one who's pregnant and due right around exams so I wanted to know where we stood with the Language/ Lit double award.
    I found out that because we entered the students last year for their exam Unit 1 (Language) and they've done their courswork this year.... and completed all of it, then they will get their Language (which is good because as long as they're okay to get thier next qualification, then I am at least mdly happy) but what I don't understand is why we can't use it towards our league tables. So, it's our fault that these three got ill? The Lit component, they've done the SALH but not the two exams...
    It appears a real useless rule and I wonder how it will effect our results. Any thoughts?

2. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

I am wondering if there is any scope in scrapping Language and just doing English and Literature... that way if there are any last minute problems with students, at least all the coursework would be in order if we wanted to enter them for ENGLISH. Otherwise, with the different tasks, it seems impossible.,
    Just another moan - i hate all this game playing. You know? We entered students who got Ds last June and then this Jan - got the exact same mark but because of the change in thresholds, got Cs. It is so unfair. I think a C should be a C and a D should be a D - totally fair. None of this manipulating the system with changing the goal posts... Right now, we're sitting on our language results with baited breath waiting to see if Language Unit 3 threshold changes. We're looking okay, but if that magic 43 changes to 45 or higher, we're sunk. How is that fair?

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Well, it isn't, is it? I do keep banging on about this on here, but no one from AQA has yet given me a satisfactory answer. Same cohort, same pieces of work, just handed in at a different time of year: so how can this produce a different end result? [​IMG]

4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

You can do this, but not in the same academic year. If you want to run Lit along with English, it needs to be a different spec.

5. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Re: OP's question, "It appears a real useless rule and I wonder how it will effect our results. Any thoughts?"
    I'm struggling with this one, as we have similar situation. Like you, I'm pleased that the students will get their GCSE in English Language, having done this course last year but, through illness, been unable to be with us for Literature this year.
    However, if these student's GCSE Language "won't appear" on our league tables, does that mean that they will appear as X% who have <u>failed </u>to reach the 5 x A*-C including English and Maths? After all, they make up their own little percentage of the cohort, don't they?
    Anyone know? (AQA were very woolly on this!)

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I don't think this is right and I think you should check it out with the DfE and also the queries about how the Lang and Lit results work in terms of the league tables. These decisions are not in the hands of individual awarding bodies so going straight to the horse's mouth would seem to be the safest solution.

7. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

We only do English, regent's.