1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Lang/Lit Paris Anthology

Discussion in 'English' started by kzk84, Aug 23, 2015.

1. kzk84

kzk84 New commenter

I'm preparing to teach the new lang/lit spec and I'm currently working on the Paris anthology. Anyone else teaching this?

It seems quite dry and I was wondering whether anyone has any good ideas - I'm willing to share my resources so far!

2. becorleansky

becorleansky New commenter

Dry is a bit of an understatement! I'm looking at getting the students to craft a portfolio of notes on each text using the assessment focuses from the spec. Each text will have notes on each key principle and ideas for re-creative writing. Group work will take over from chalk and talk, eventually. This also sounds dry!

3. micromart123

micromart123 New commenter

How is everyone getting on with this Paris Anthology? Any resources or advice would be greatly appreciated.

4. anniemassey

anniemassey New commenter

Hi all,

I have created some wordles for the transcripts and video scripts for comparison and introduction to the texts. Happy to share. I have also given a HW project for an overview of the history of Paris dishing out centuries to groups! Would love to share resources and ideas.

smichalska likes this.
  5. micromart123

Hi,
    I've sent you a PM, would love to share resources.

6. get me out of here

get me out of here New commenter

I am really struggling with the Paris Anthology - not really sure what I am doing. Any help would be much appreciated.

7. bkzke04

bkzke04 New commenter

Do you have the student text book? I found this quite useful in outlining how to go about teaching the different elements. It is quite complex for a student book though!
    I have been trying to make it more interesting by focusing on the recast section.

8. millypad1980

millypad1980 New commenter

Hi all, my three colleagues and I are meeting tomorrow to plan for the delivery of this after Christmas. We are dreading it!! If anyone would be kind enough to share any resources, that would be fab. I'll be more than happy to share anything I produce over the coming weeks and months.

9. millypad1980

Would you be kind enough to pass on any resources? We've got a planning morning at school tomorrow to focus on this unit. I'll be more then happy to share anything that myself and the team produce over the coming weeks.

10. lindzc79

lindzc79 New commenter

I am so glad to discover that I am not the only person struggling with teaching this! I have been using the Cambridge textbook as a guideline and trying to look at the texts in groups. We have been getting an overview of the texts- audience, purpose, text type, mode etc but struggling with some of the closer analysis as there's not much to say about some of the texts. Anyone got anything they are willing to share? I'd really appreciate it. I will look what I have too. Thank you

11. get me out of here

12. get me out of here

To be fair, it is the close analysis that I am struggling with. I am unfamiliar with Language and while I have got the Cambridge student book, I really don't understand what I am supposed to be doing with the texts. We are spending a great deal of time recasting - and writing commentaries, mainly because I don't know what else to do. I have emailed AQA to see when the e-library will be up and running (should have been September) and they can't give a date for when it is going 'live', If anyone has got an annotated copy of any of the texts that you could let me look at, or any other resources, I would be eternally grateful. I find myself with a highlighter pen and...I don't know what I am supposed to be highlighting!

13. becorleansky

becorleansky New commenter

I've ended up going with following approach:
    What is the representation of Paris/Parisians in this text? Then once we've whittled that down to a central argument we look at how context, genre and linguistic and literary devices convey this. What I'm then going to do is look at groups of texts. The students have even produced presentations a text using this format and they are coming up with some interesting arguments. That's what I'm doing if it helps x

abbyrichards_ likes this.
  14. get me out of here

Thank you. I will try some of your ideas.

15. anniemassey

anniemassey New commenter

Only just went back to this thread. Happy to share. File too large to upload? Will try to break up later.

lindzc79 likes this.
  16. smichalska

smichalska New commenter

Hi - I've just been timetabled onto this course. If you have any resources, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks

17. micromart123

Hi everyone and happy new year!

Does anyone have any resources they would be willing to share for the Paris Anthology?

It would be great to see how people are approaching it.

I look forward to the responses!

18. millypad1980

Hi All, it's good to know that my colleagues and I are not the only ones struggling with this! It would be great it we could get an annotated online bank of as many of the extracts as possible. I've annotated a couple and would be willing to share if others will do the same. I'll be annotating more on a weekly basis as I'm sure most of us will be. Thought we could share and reduce our workload. Anyone agree?

vickila likes this.
  19. micromart123

Sounds like a great idea! I'd be happy to share what I've annotated too. It would be good to see what resources/approaches people have taken to this.

20. get me out of here

I would be happy to share too. How do I do it?