1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Lang A05

Discussion in 'English' started by singinintherain, Oct 29, 2018.

1. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can give me some insight into A05. A common thread in the mark scheme is structural features, however if writing a description, how could you include 'varied and inventive use of structural features?' Will these be the same structural features that we find in Q3?

Thanks in advance!

2. chatmaw

chatmaw New commenter

Broadly yes, I suppose. Really, it's about teaching them to plan effectively and be able to manage shifts from external to internal description, time, place or tone, etc. On paper 2, having a logical structure so that there is a sense of central argument that is being explored throughout the piece.

Really, the big problem is that they write too much and don't plan so don't know when they've finished. I would, for the most part, focus on the planning more than worrying too much about teaching them fancy structural features. Model effective planning and develop an approach that works for them.