1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA ISA CU1.5

Discussion in 'Science' started by vodkanight, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Hi

I am lacking inspiration, has anyone come up with a good context for the C1 ISA set D 'The temperature rise when a metal reacts with a solution of copper chloride varies with the reactivity of the metal.’

Much appreciated :)

2. SueFlewitt

SueFlewitt New commenter

Hi, did you ever get any response for this? I'm in exactly the same boat and wondering when I'd ever use this in real life!

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

You could always do it in the context of an investigation by some pupils looking at some way of heating up a tin of soup - similar to ones I have seen using various anhydrous compounds (add water) or self heating cans of coffee that use calcium oxide + water.

4. biscuitcrumbs

biscuitcrumbs New commenter

Shipbuilders use reactive metals to coat their iron ships.

The water and oxygen reacts with the more reactive metal instead of the iron so the boat doesn’t rust.

Which metal should ship builders use to protect their iron ships?

You are very welcome ;-)

wrbdb likes this.
  5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

No they don't! They use sacrificial anodes - rusting is essentially an oxidation reduction process and the loss and gain of electrons.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Suddenly reminded me of OILRIG.