1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA - is any one still marking?

Discussion in 'English' started by ladyzelda, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ladyzelda

ladyzelda New commenter

I have given up. Yes, I need the money but I can't take any more.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Yes. Aiming to do some extra marking until there's no scripts left to mark since I need the money too (why else would anyone do it?).

pepper5 likes this.
  3. saluki

saluki Established commenter

Still going. Being selective about which questions I mark because some responses send me into the depths of depression.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I tried to get new ones but the computer say 'No'

5. gruoch

Anyone know when we get paid?

6. tb9605

tb9605 New commenter

I've been paid in dribs and drabs since June 30th.... scripts dried up mid-July (though managed an extra 140 on top of my allocation - was planning to buy something nice, but then the car needed a new set of tyres...)

pepper5 likes this.
  7. gruoch

Nothing here :-(

pepper5 likes this.
  8. gruoch

I am seriously impressed by anyone who managed more than their allocation. I didn't meet mine and my brain was still custard by the end of it.

9. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

grouch - if you didn't manage to mark about 3/4 of your allocation then you might not get paid until the end of the process; when all the bonuses are paid. It might even be after the results are out!

10. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

And it's finally over. Thank God!

Anyone else surprised that it took this long for the exams to be marked? Probably a consequence of doubling the number of exams with the new specification.

11. gruoch

I did more than 75%
    I emailed and it turns out that they didn't have my details, apparently.

12. fineliner

In a way it was expected. I wonder how many remarks will be requested. I would not be surprised if it is a huge number again.

13. fineliner

Oh good. Hope you get it sorted.

14. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Was anyone working as a team leader this year? I sent off my claim forms weeks ago and have received nothing yet.

How did everyone find the process this year? Being team leader was very eye opening indeed!

15. gruoch

I got paid a week or so ago.

In what way is being a team leader eye opening? (Never done it: marking is enough work for me.)

16. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

I don't think it's wise to share this kind of information on a public forum.

cwilson1983 likes this.
  17. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Sorry, let me clarify my last post. It's just my personal view, but any details about an examiner 'fiddling' the system should only be reported to the Principal Examiner and not shared publicly. An unscrupulous reporter may pick up on your post and use it to discredit examiners and the marking process. Other examiners may also copy the examiner you mentioned. I marked for AQA for several years (I marked for Edexcel this year due to switching specs) and was always under the impression that we had to be careful about what we shared or we could be breaching our contract.

Just my personal view.

cwilson1983 likes this.
  18. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hi Eva_Smith
    I don't doubt for a second that you didn't report the examiner to your Principal Examiner. My point was that it should be reported to JUST them and not a public forum.

Although you haven't named the exam board, the details you provide woukd make it easy for others to identify it.

Your arguments about the marking process, Gove etc may be valid but, in my view, they shouldn't be used to justify giving details that may breach a contract.

If you don't agree with my points, then fair enough. We can agree to disagree :)

All the best

cwilson1983 likes this.