1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Graphics coursework - Urgent!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by what-why-when, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Afternoon,
    Just been having a chat to a friend from another school who also teaches AQA graphics, and we've had a little disagreement about one of the themes for Y11! Considering the deadline is only a few weeks away, It's made us both question what we're doing!
    We've both got students doing the "Jack and the Beanstalk" theme, and we've had no problem with standees, flyers and tickets, but for press advertising I've got my lot to design posters that can be used on single page and double page adverts in magazines (i.e. suitable for both portrait and landscape with minimal modification), plus suitable for billboards and bus shelters etc. My mate has taken it to be a press release sent out to magazines etc, so quite a wordy kind of information medium, giving a summary of the film (like the blurb on the back of a DVD case!) and some still images, with the film title and logo. Still definately a graphic product though!
    So, who's right, and what have you guys done?

Thanks,
    W-W-W

2. Speak to your coursework advisors- they most probably will accept which ever is the wrong one as long as notice is given in advance

3. I agree with you, I have got mine to use photoshop to insert their poster into a newspaper layouts etc.. would like to know if it's wrong! also we have had some debate within our dept as to 'rigorous' outcome for standee - I have taken into account 3D decoupage style, smart materials, LEDs etc... any thoughts on this would be welcome also!

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

^ This IMO.
    Don't forget wraparounds and following pages (so they could do a show & reveal type ad) or even one that unfolds - press ads don't have to be just a page or DPS.
    I think your friend has it wrong but they could look at adapting in into a magazine promotional article/ad (think Johnsons do a few in Glamour Magazine for example) x

5. Take it as it sounds, a poster. Ive done it for 2 years now and its one of my favoured subject choices. The pupils design an A4 poster that would be used in a cinema on small wall advertisings, in toilets etc in snap frames. They then use a similar layout for flyer and maybe ticket so the design runs across all 3 products and is consistent. Lost no marks doing it this way.