1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Graphics- CD packaging design brief and smart materials

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by drawnfrommemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I have a number of students who chosen the CD promotion project incorporating an item that utilises smart materials. I have struggled to support anything other than the use of thermochromatic inks on mugs or t-shirts (very basic and VERY contrived). I will be the first to confess that I have not given smart materials much time in the past and probably have little imagination in their application.
    Im asking if you would share what sort of things your students have designed using smart materials.
    Thanks

2. I have a number of students who chosen the CD promotion project incorporating an item that utilises smart materials. I have struggled to support anything other than the use of thermochromatic inks on mugs or t-shirts (very basic and VERY contrived). I will be the first to confess that I have not given smart materials much time in the past and probably have little imagination in their application.
    Im asking if you would share what sort of things your students have designed using smart materials.
    Thanks

3. What about.
    Smart putty enclosed between two skins so when the case is dropped it would not break the case.
    Self sealing silicone could dreate waterproof units.
    UV beads, could be heated and squashed flat then reformed into a case that would change colour in sunlight.
    This is just 3 that that i can think of. I assume that you are looking at the mindset/MUTR website for materials.

4. Thank you, i am am looking at the website now. Very interesting and slightly worrying in that the applications for making a prototype graphic product appear quite difficult but i just need to have a play I think.
    This smart material addition...im livin' it, but I aint liking it.
    Thank you benedict16

5. The kids are developing their cd designs to make 'world tour' (one has done a local school tour instead) and adding detail with either glow in the dark or solar activated thread. They have mentioned black light pigments and such for tickets but to be honest using them looked less than thrilling in tests

6. It's very interesting to me this discourse about smart materials. They're so interesting yet so... pointless! It seems that the only smart materials we can get hold of only produce things that look cheap and unimaginative.

Personally I like the idea of revealing something that is hidden in an unexpected way, so that could be through heat activated actuators, phosphorescent inks etc., the problem being how you put that into a project, esp. for KS3 that is repeatable, reasonably adaptable and engages students past the first time that they see it.

My feeling is that most smart material products are 'one-hit-wonders', and that its difficult, for me, to sustain interest in them when the only explanation for them working is 'it's magic'.

Plus, there is also the stability of them to take into account. Most smart materials will only do their thing for a limited time, putting them firmly into the category of novelty product - totally against the 'sustainability' that we are trying to introduce to our students. God knows how they manufacture these things, but the amount of chemicals and/or energy that goes into it can't be small.

That said, Polymorph is dead handy for prototyping and can be used again. For cool application of smart materials I will always go to http://www.random-international.com and their temporary graffiti/temporary printing machine projects.

7. Sorry about the massive block of text. For some reason this forum always removes my formatting and what was a light and well-structured piece of prose becomes a huge, lumbering rant. sorry