1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA grade boundaries - mocks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jtollitt, Jan 3, 2018.

1. madmanphillips

madmanphillips New commenter

2. claudette_marsaud

claudette_marsaud New commenter

I'll throw this into the mix, for your information.
    At a meeting with Judith Rowland-Jones (AQA Head Of Curriculum for Languages) in February, we learned that 2/3 of the content of the higher reading / listening papers will be aimed at grades 6 and higher.
    I think it is important to know this.

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

4. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Not used them but they look interesting.They are below the initial idea of 90% for a 9, 80% for an 8 etc but not massively so. A bit late now though!

5. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

6. anthony_watkins2

anthony_watkins2 New commenter

My son is taking GCSE French this summer. He says his teacher told him that if he scored 20 out of 60 for one of the four sections and received a U for that section, then those 20 point would be lost and would not count towards the overall grade. Is this correct, or has he misunderstood what he has been told?

7. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

He has misunderstood. The mark for each paper is 60 and all marks count to the final grade.
    We won't know the marks to grades until August.

8. anthony_watkins2

anthony_watkins2 New commenter

Thanks, I did think that seemed very unfair as it seems hard enough as it is. My son is the only pupil in his school being put forward for the higher paper, all he rest of the year are taking foundation. Considering there are some pretty academically able kids in that class, I find that quite amazing. My son is predicted 7, 8 or 9 in all his other subjects, but in French his teacher feels he is looking at a 4 or a 5 on the higher paper, and left the choice up to him as to whether he took higher or foundation. He chose higher, although she recommended foundation as the safer option. There must be something wrong with this course content when so many able pupils are struggling so much.