1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA grade boundaries - mocks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jtollitt, Jan 3, 2018.

1. madmanphillips

madmanphillips New commenter

madcatlady likes this.
  2. claudette_marsaud

claudette_marsaud New commenter

I'll throw this into the mix, for your information.
    At a meeting with Judith Rowland-Jones (AQA Head Of Curriculum for Languages) in February, we learned that 2/3 of the content of the higher reading / listening papers will be aimed at grades 6 and higher.
    I think it is important to know this.

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

4. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Not used them but they look interesting.They are below the initial idea of 90% for a 9, 80% for an 8 etc but not massively so. A bit late now though!

5. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

6. anthony_watkins2

anthony_watkins2 New commenter

My son is taking GCSE French this summer. He says his teacher told him that if he scored 20 out of 60 for one of the four sections and received a U for that section, then those 20 point would be lost and would not count towards the overall grade. Is this correct, or has he misunderstood what he has been told?

7. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

He has misunderstood. The mark for each paper is 60 and all marks count to the final grade.
    We won't know the marks to grades until August.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. anthony_watkins2

anthony_watkins2 New commenter

Thanks, I did think that seemed very unfair as it seems hard enough as it is. My son is the only pupil in his school being put forward for the higher paper, all he rest of the year are taking foundation. Considering there are some pretty academically able kids in that class, I find that quite amazing. My son is predicted 7, 8 or 9 in all his other subjects, but in French his teacher feels he is looking at a 4 or a 5 on the higher paper, and left the choice up to him as to whether he took higher or foundation. He chose higher, although she recommended foundation as the safer option. There must be something wrong with this course content when so many able pupils are struggling so much.

agathamorse and BrightonEarly like this.
  9. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Now that I have retired, I would really appreciate it if a practising teacher could let me know how far out my guesses were when the results are published in August.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

11. mdecrz19

mdecrz19 New commenter

12. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

You should be able to see the grade boundaries. Aqa usually publish a pdf with all the thresholds. This may or may not include the imaginary ones for different components / papers. The ones for the new AS last year for example did include notional breakdowns by paper.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. veverett

This may annoy you, but the fullest and quickest answer is to suggest you read back through the thread because people have used 3 or 4 different premises to come up with fairly similar possible grade boundaries.

14. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

I used maths basically :)

I took a past AQA IGCSE paper grade boundaries and worked out the % needed for each grade that year L, R, W, S

This is where I started making assumptions / guessing, because the grades have also changed. I said a* = 8 etc etc as best I could

Then I worked out the equivalent % on the new paper as a score

Voilà

It kind of works, I am looking forward to seeing how far out I am

As veverett says it has been interesting to see different methods leading to similar answers

15. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

I know I said this earlier in the thread, but I still find it ridiculous that as teachers we are having to guess so much when it comes to something so important.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. veverett

Agreed. And next year we won't be much better off as teachers' understanding of the criteria improves, the marks needed will go up in order to keep grades down.

agathamorse and Eflmeister like this.
  17. veverett

Must keep an eye on which direction the Maths and English grade boundaries head this summer in case it indicates what happens next year for other subjects. Already noticed that the Nov retake boundaries headed North by 6 marks (a whole grade?) for English. But perhaps Autumn retakes are a special cohort?

18. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Ah yes, like last time, when they introduced Controlled Assessment. Got a bit fed up with this conversation:

"Yes Mrs X, it does indeed seem unfair that your younger daughter is better at French than the the older one, but got a lower grade.
    However, 4 years have passed, teachers and pupils have a better idea of what is expected of them, so the boards are now using stricter criteria than their own mark schemes suggest, and the only way we know the new criteria is to look at the examiners' report, which only comes out after the event.
    So what got daughter X an A-grade 3 years ago would barely get her a C now"

agathamorse likes this.
  19. veverett

Yes. I do belivoe there was a thread on exactly that here on the forum.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. annaeuan

annaeuan New commenter

We applied something similar to madcatlady although we had a larger gap between grades e.g writing foundation 24 for grade 2 but 28 for grade 3 , we thought grade 2 would be significantly lower and that overall you might only need about 15% for grade 1?

Our thinking was especially in writing the describing the photo task especially is very accessible so surely designed fir the very weakest.

In general I think we have been harsher than most for the higher grades in each tier. Interesting to read. Thanks