1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA grade boundaries - mocks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jtollitt, Jan 3, 2018.

1. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

whoops, same snippet twice.

Anyway for ours we took a previous iGCSE paper and worked out what % was needed to get each grade. Then I applied the same % to the new paper. Then I adjusted the H listening downwards by 3 marks because no-one scored anything to the point of stupidity. So none of it is very scientific but this gave a result, although it was quite harsh imho

I used the second set AQA French papers for the mock.

mdecrz19 likes this.
  2. deniscampbell9

deniscampbell9 New commenter

Thanks for this. What did you do for foundation tier?

3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

madcatlady likes this.
  4. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Thank you for posting that madcatlady! - I think, looking at it, that it makes sense when I apply it to our pupils, so we may well use it!

5. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I applaud the diligence of you all! I've decided that gut feeling works best at this stage. Notional grades could be useful in the future but as there are no awards for each skill, it might be quite difficult to judge any(even notional) boundaries with any great certainty.

6. hannahc439

hannahc439 New commenter

7. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

I took the published results and grade boundaries of an iGCSE paper, I think 2014 but it might have been 2015, converted the boundaries to %. Then I applied the % to the new GCSE papers.

Then I moved the listening down 3 marks because it was so ridiculously difficult.

To get the overall grades I added up the 4 boundaries I had worked out.

:)

8. zsteele13

zsteele13 New commenter

Thanks for all of these posts - it is incredibly useful to look at the different ways people are organising it. I based my reading and listening boundaries on 2017 grade boundaries for the reading and listening papers by converting the mark and placing the 8 as an A*. There are still some students not hitting the 4 that I think would usually so I may start to use some of your suggestions above.

I have a question whilst I consider what tier to place the students in.
    If the marks are being added together to create a final grade rather than a grade for each paper, does that mean that their reading paper being lower than others won't equal to a U in that paper - it will just contribute to their overall grade raw marks?

9. veverett

Yes, I think so. You mean if they score really low on one paper but it's made up for by scoring higher in others? It is the overall total that counts. AQA will publish notional thresholds for the 4 papers. You could do this just by dividing the total by 4, but hopefully they will do something more sophisticated which reflects how pupils did in each respective paper.

10. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

This is a tracker that I designed with my best ‘educated’ mark/grade boundaries. Based on Maths grade boundaries for the new GCSE, SLT have altered the boundaries slightly to make the marking more severe for foundation and more lenient for higher. Boundaries will change every year based on the ability profile of the cohort in any case, but it will be interesting to see where the first year’s boundaries land. Often the first year of a new course is more lenient than subsequent years.

You can edit this spreadsheet to enter the boundaries of your choice.

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/9-1-ks4-gcse-languages-tracker-11606984

professeur2 likes this.
  11. BrightonEarly

I meant to write ‘educated’ guess in the above post!

12. veverett

Must emphasise at this point that ALL this is speculation. The only thing we know for sure is that the number of pupils getting C and above will be maintained at 4 and above. And that the number of pupils getting A and above will be maintained at 7 and above.

AQA have said that the Maths paper last year "performed well". By which they mean that when they allocated the predetermined number of pupils to each grade, the boundary threshold marks fitted the way the papers had been designed. So the performance of pupils at 4/5 was similar on the cross-over questions. And the proportion of pupils getting each grade matched the way certain questions had been targeted at certain grades.

I can see ours not necessarily "performing well" in some areas:
    1. Native speakers skewing results at the top end - in data sharing with other schools, this seems to be affecting Spanish more than French.
    2. The "cross-over" questions on the reading include a literary text, which confuses a lot of pupils and so 4-5 level candidates don't score well at H or at F, even though this question is targeted at them.
    3. If the listening is just too hard, then the paper won't discriminate, the candidates will all be in a clump or get random marks.
    4. Pupils who misinterpret or don't understand parts of questions in the speaking or writing might go off in the wrong direction and score below their ability. Also lottery factor in the speaking as to what topics individual candidates get.
    5. Not as easy as maths (?) to set questions aimed at different grades (?).

Backa and -myrtille- like this.
  13. veverett

BrightonEarly likes this.
  14. BrightonEarly

15. boatie

boatie New commenter

Tracker looks great... but is it for Edexcel? The total raw scores for AQA are different..., or have I missed something?

16. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Absolutely spot on - I think all of these are really valid concerns, particularly points 4 and 5.

I think the grade boundaries will have to be pretty low and close together (particularly because of the Higher listening) which will mean some pupils will make a couple of lucky guesses that will give them a higher grade than they deserve. And one or two daft mistakes could really pull down a perfectly able candidate, particularly misunderstanding a bullet point in the Writing.

17. Backa

Backa New commenter

I have just looked at my Higher Reading scores and if I apply either / both of the maths formulae above they seem slightly generous, knowing the students, but only slightly. The foundation however seems overly harsh. With the data above it would be worth putting students in for the higher regardless! The decision around entry is very tough.

18. veverett

Can I ask what language this was? And was it the first set or the second set of specimen papers?

19. BrightonEarly

Hi Boatie! The tracker is for AQA. Raw scores are automatically scaled to reflect the correct weighting for each skill.

20. gchagger

gchagger New commenter

Hi madcatlady,

How did your students perform using the grade boundaries above? Did you scale up the listening and writing marks for foundation paper? If so how did you do that?

Thanks,

gchagger