1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA grade boundaries - mocks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jtollitt, Jan 3, 2018.

1. jtollitt

jtollitt New commenter

What grade boundaries are people using for mocks overall taking into account all four papers ...

We were planning on 80% - 8, 70% - 7 etc at higher and 80 % - 5, 70 % - 4 etc. at foundation, but this leads to some quite worrying results.

Any ideas ?

2. jtollitt

jtollitt New commenter

Forgot to mention we did AQA GCSE second set specimen.

3. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

We used the boundaries for last year's maths GCSE - have been advised they should be the fairly comparable, but it's all a shot in the dark!!

4. jtollitt

jtollitt New commenter

Yes that was one of our options! A complete shot in the dark!!

5. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

What we (probably) know is:
    1. Higher tier has questions that focus on different grades. Goes from 4 to grade 9. So it could be that 50% of the Higher paper targets grades 6 , 7, 8, 9 and 50% targets grades 4, 5, 6. So if you have pupils aiming for a 5 or 6 they may well be getting half marks or less on the Higher tier.

2. The questions which are common to the Higher and Foundation tiers are the ones aimed at grades 4 and 5. So that also gives you an idea of where boundaries for grade 4 (around half the marks on the common questions?) and grade 5 (most of the marks on the common questions) might fall. This, I believe, fits with what happened in maths last year (the other subject with tier of entry).

3. The L and R papers are scaled up to 60, so the handful of marks pupils may be getting will be a slightly larger handful (but not if you're talking %).

4. We know that the number of pupils who got a C+ or an A+ last year will be matched in the new award with similar numbers getting 4+ and 7+. So if you have an idea how your school cohort normally fit into the national picture, then you could hazard a calculation as to where the boundaries for 4 and 7 might lie.

Everything else is hokum.

6. veverett

and
    5. Grades are awarded on the total of L + Sp + R + L out of 240. There are not grade boundaries for the separate skills, although the exam board will publish notional boundaries.

7. Duorts

Duorts New commenter

Do you have these percentages handy and could post them by any chance? Are you talking about the new GCSE sat in summer 2017? Did they work well for you?

8. veverett

Using the principles outlined above plus some data sharing with other schools. I am tempted to suggest these thresholds:
    Higher Reading:
    8= 50/60
    7= 40/60
    6= 30/60
    5= 20/60
    4= 11/60

Higher Listening:
    8= 30/50
    7= 25/50
    6= 20/50
    5= 13/50
    4= 7/50

Using those with Mock Marks gives some interesting results. If you applied those to your results, would it produce anything in line with your expectations for pupils at this stage?

marseille and deniscampbell9 like this.
  9. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Isn’t it ridiculous that we’ve been reduced to having to speculate, estimate and just downright guess how these crucial exams are going to be marked? And that the results of which we are judged on for pay progression having no real idea of what we are all estimating is even remotely correct? What a farce of a system.

agathamorse and madamelyons like this.
  10. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Maths thresholds for last year. Interesting reading if nothing else!

upload_2018-1-11_11-15-58.png

BrightonEarly likes this.
  11. Duorts

Duorts New commenter

Very interesting!
    Implementing the Maths grade boundaries for the Reading paper, I achieve a whole Level higher for each of my students than if I use the calculations that 'veverett' suggests above. Would rather err on the side of caution at this stage and go with 'veverett's calculations as the Maths ones seem very generous.

12. veverett

...while bearing in mind that mine are also made up! I think the threshold for a 4 I've come up with (half the marks for the common questions) is worryingly low, within the zone of "could have got that many by pure chance". But that wouldn't be new.

13. veverett

But even with the maths a 4 on the H tier would come out as about 11 or 12 for each paper.

14. veverett

Interesting. Have taken the Maths thresholds from last year. Then I've divided them by 4 to get mark out of 60 for the H Reading.

Gives these grades for Higher Reading:
    9= 47
    8= 39
    7=31
    6= 24
    5= 18
    4= 11
    This would be in line with my 4 (and 5 sort of) and then actually slightly more generous than mine for the reading!

Then I adjusted the marks for the Higher Listening being out of 50 not 60. The maths thresholds would then give these grades for the Higher Listening:

9 = 39
    8 = 32
    7 = 25
    6 = 20
    5 = 15
    4 = 9
    3 =7
    This would make my thresholds slightly too generous. Perhaps because the maths papers don't have the different degree of difficulty we often have between the L and R papers.

Perhaps when L and R are added together, my marks and the maths marks don't give too different an outcome! Having said that, my thresholds were based on my understanding of how the maths and MFL papers are designed with certain questions targeting certain grades (see post above).

15. veverett

Have just tried the maths grades using the /60 ones for speaking and writing too. Very interesting. Sort of matches up with target grade, with deviation reflecting how I know the pupil is doing. Lots have a higher grade in Sp or in Wr than in L. But it's the overall mark out of 240 that matters. Remember to scale up your listening marks from 50 to 60.

16. dorangelica60

dorangelica60 New commenter

Students are no longer given grades for each skill. It is an overall grade. How do you calculate the overall grade and the different boundaries across the 4 skills?

17. veverett

This is based on 5 separate things, and then seeing if they come out with similar results.
    1. If the questions common to the F and H tier are the questions targeting the grades 4 and 5, then possibly getting most of those marks on Higher Tier = 5 and getting half of those on Higher Tier = 4
    2. If the Higher Tier targets grades 4 to 9 then would it be reasonable to think that a 5 would be 50% or even slightly less?
    3. Combining knowledge of mock grades with other schools, what % of pupils are getting what, or put another way, what score do you have to get to be in a certain %
    4. Generating possible thresholds - do they come up with sensible grades for our pupils based on their predicted targets and our knowledge of how they are doing.
    4. If maths 2017 paper is constructed in similar way, do the thresholds we've come up with match up with what actually happened in maths.

As for the individual skill/overall mark question. I divided the maths thresholds out of 240 by 4 (and scaled the listening to 50) to get individual skill indications.

Of course, all this is speculation! And also affected by what decisions other schools make about tiers of entry. Because it will all come down to how our students compare to other students across the country.

18. veverett

Now need to give my Y11s last year's old style GCSE papers and see if the grade Cs and above match the 4+s, and the grade As and above match the 7+s. In any way, shape or form!

19. normabatman

normabatman New commenter

We went higher - to err on the side of caution, and as only about 3% nationally will get 9. So 9 = 95%, 8=90% (equal to previous A*), 7=80% etc. Had a huge spread, but no 9s in mocks, yet to be expected as not finished topics.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter