1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA grade boundaries Jan and June: the same?

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, Mar 7, 2012.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

Does anybody know if the grade boundaries for the AQA Controlled Assessments (Unit 3) and Speaking and Listening will be the same for the June entry as for the January entry, the results of which will be given to students tomorrow?
    Logically I would have thought so, as it is the same cohort, but I'm not really sure about how this works.
    If they <u>don't</u> change, it does seem to rather give those schools who haven't cashed in their CAs the chance to see exactly what the boundaries are and target kids who need to repeat CAs: we might have been getting kids to repeat them anyway, but now we will know <u>exactly</u> how many more more marks they need to get a certain grade. Which all seems rather odd - we've spent lots of time whining that we didn't know what the grades are, and now we can pinpoint it exactly.
    Any thoughts? Or can they be different for June?

2. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

You can check grade boundaries on the AQA website but I'm not sure when they will be posted. I imagine that they will change as they seem to (within reason) every exam season and AQA still haven't quite got to grips with the new spec (i.e. lit grade boundaries for June seemed so lowI fear that using them as a benchmark will harm this year's cohort.)

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

I rang them today and they should be on eaqa tomorrow (Thursday).

I'll ring & double check if they are the same though as based on last years we have quite a few within one or two UMS marks of C either way.

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

I have checked them for Jan 2012 - they are already up.
    What I'm wondering is if they are likely to change them for the June exam; it would seem unfair if they went up, as some Y11s would then have to get a higher score for the same pieces of work to get the same grade as those who had cashed in the assessments in January.

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

Well, it seems that the raw scores required for a particular grade in the CAs CAN change from January to June.
    Can anyone explain why this should be so?
    Are a certain percentage of entrants awarded each grade? Why should students in the same cohort get different grades for the same marks, depending on when they submit the work?
    I can see how the exam grade boundaries can change from Jan to June, depending on how difficult the questions are, but not the controlled assessment boundaries.
    I expect there is a simple explanation - I just wish someone would actually try to articulate it!

6. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

It doesn't make sense that the CA conversion of raw marks to UMS should change, as you said. I was told today that the UMS boundary was subject to change, which makes even less sense - I thought that the reason for having UMS was for consistency, so that scores could be compared from different years.
    Maybe the excuse that grade boundaries are changed just to allow for exams having varying degreesof difficulty is a bit dishonest. The ability of the exam cohort within a school changes year by year - we have a brighter Y11 this year. Presumably that trend could be reflected on a national level, and the boundaries are actually changed in line with the variation. Although perhaps the greater numbers involved would iron out statistical wrinkles like that.

7. anteater

anteater New commenter

No, I don't think that it can!