1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA German GCSE Grade boundaries - SHOCKING!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Aug 29, 2011.

1. As I struggle to understand why all of my pupils underperformed, I have uncovered this:

Unit 1 Listening
    2010 - You needed 26/40 to get into the A* band
    2011 - You needed 36/40 to get into the A* band.

Can someone please explain to me how the expectations can change so radically from one year to the next?
    Incidentally, the boundaries for French and Spanish also went up, but not by a wacking great 10 marks out of 40!

2. This is my first year with AQA (we changed from Edxecel) & I've been been stunned by the fluctuation in grade boundaries from exam to exam. Do AQA boundaries normally change this much? Edexcel had its faults but they were pretty much contstant from year to year. The writing boundary for an A also increased this year - pupils now need 52/60 which equates to 87%?? Frightening stuff!

3. Thanks for pointing that out about the writing - I am trying to compile all the statistics before next week and the start of term, but I've been looking at the Listening and Reading first. I cannot believe that AQA can get away with this....

4. I have now worked through all the grade boundaries for 2010 and 2011.
    Looking at the number of raw marks you need to achieve a certain grade, and then reading those marks as a percentage of the total marks available, it looks like this
    A* = 64 or 65% on the R and L, 92% on S and W

A* = 90% for L, 87% for R, 92% on S and 93% on W.

The huge difference in % marks required to achieve a grade in R and L occurs throughout the range of grades.(e.g. in 2010, 45% of the marks in R gained a B grade, but 45% in 2011 gets an E).
    The % for S and W are comparable, though the 2011 ones are slightly higher in most grades.

Am I missing something obvious?