1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE

Discussion in 'Music' started by gliss, Aug 25, 2011.

1. gliss

gliss New commenter

Can some one help me with the maths please. If a pupil has gor 319 UMS score ( B grade) and an A grade is 320 how many more marks would they need to gain to move into the A band.

2. Well, the raw scores are out of 210 (I think) and the UMS score is out of 400. So each raw point is approximately 2 UMS points.
    So 1 UMS mark is approx half a (raw) mark. I think....
    Apologies if I am totally wrong.

3. There is a formula that the exam boards use and change each year to convert raw scores to UMS points as the UMS grade boundaries are consistent, but the unit mark subject boundaries change each year, (they don't ever seem to publish their formulas). Hence I've got a student who didn't get full subject marks, but got full UMS marks in one of her units because of the formula. You can work it out for each unit by putting the UMS marks and subject marks into excel, and getting excel to draw a line and work out the formula. Not normally exact but close enough. If the grade boundaries were close together in the subject marks, then 1 subject mark can equal 4 or 5 UMS marks. Hope this makes sense.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You need to take account of the fact that Unit 3 (Performance) is worth 40% of the GCSE, while the other three units are worth 20%. This means that a maximum raw mark for Unit 3 attracts 160 UMS marks, while a maximum mark in any of the other units attracts only 80 UMS marks. My own rough and ready calculation is:
    Unit 1 (marked out of 80): 1 raw mark is roughly 1 UMS mark
    Unit 2 (marked out of 40): 1 raw mark is roughly 2 UMS marks
    Unit 3 (marked out of 60): 1 raw mark is roughly 2.66 UMS marks
    Unit 4 (marked out of 30): 1 raw mark is roughly 2.66 UMS marks
    I say "roughly" because for simplicity I have used the maximum raw mark for each unit to show its relationship to a UMS mark. In reality, the conversion is based on the spread of raw marks between a notional grade N (somewhere around the mark for an F grade) and a mark above that required for a Grade A, but not necessarily the maximum available mark (this cap explains why qu1annie's pupil got the maximum UMS for a unit without actually getting the maximum raw mark in the unit concerned).
    Anyway, the answer to the OP is that just one more mark in Unit 1 (or half a mark or less in the other units) should be enough to reach the magic UMS figure of 320 for a Grade A.
    In the days when I used to be an examiner for Oxford & Cambridge, anybody that close to a grade boundary would get an automatic free re-mark by the Chief Examiner, just to be sure that the odd half mark had not been missed. They also used to give an automatic free re-mark to any candidate whose final result was two or more grades out from their school's estimate.
    I fear that when small but rigorous boards such as O&C were swept away, much of this detailed reconsideration disappeared as well. I subsequently went on to do some marking for Edexcel and enquired whether they remarked work that had received a grade which was two or more out from the school's estimate. I remember to this day the subject officer scoffingly replying that teachers had no idea about grading, and therefore their estimates were simply ignored. Thus began the new era of "board supremacy".

5. ellbee

ellbee New commenter

Can someone tell me the grade boundaries please?
    I can't get onto the enhanced results analysis on eAQA. I have my grades and UMS points but want to know how far off the kids were to the next grade!
    Any help please?

6. florian gassmann

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You are not correct.

8. ellbee

ellbee New commenter

Thanks, I meant how many UMS marks you need for each grade. I should have been clearer, d'oh!

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

These do not change year to year and can be found in many places, including the specification:
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-4270-W-SP.PDF

10. florian gassmann

As Crowbob points out, these never change and are the same every year and for every subject, depending only on the weighting that is given to a specific unit.
    They are printed on pages 21 and 22 of the AQA spec.

11. ellbee

ellbee New commenter

Got them, thanks :)

12. gliss

gliss New commenter

Many thanks for all the info.........one question...........has anyone had a candidates listening paper remarked with success? as i said this candidate is 1 ums mark off an A grade and he/she has landed on the lowest B mark for this unit, he/she is capable of better and only needs to gain 1 mark to pull the overall grade up to an A.
    what do you think?