1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Unit 2 Assignment 1 Magazine cover

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by heiabrann, Mar 15, 2017.

1. heiabrann

heiabrann New commenter

Hi,

my Year 11s have designed theur magazine front covers. They have used images from the Internet. I am suddenly worried that they might need to 'edit/photoshop' the images to make them their own. Any thoughts?

2. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

As far as I'm aware, and I have been teaching this spec for nearly 10 years, Assignment 1 for the AQA GCSE coursework unit, is fine to use found images, as is Assignment 2. Some kind of editing would be nice e.g. cutting them out, or adding a filter or something, but particularly for assignment 1, the focus is on the use of conventions, and how to target an audience, so a moderator would be looking for magazine conventions, language etc.... My students use found images for Assignment 1 (we do DVD covers) and sometimes also for Assignment 2 (we do music promotion storyboards and Website Designs). They have to take their own images for Assignment 3 (we do magazines for Assignment 3) otherwise their marks will be severely limited.