1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Textiles prep sheet - modern fabrics

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by tamsinodile, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I'm telling my class that any Smart Material is considered Modern, but not all Modern materials are Smart. The way I look at it, if they include Smart Materials in their designs then they are, by default, talking about modern materials too.
    Hope that helps!

2. i'm also having the same problem - in the textbook there is no mention of modern materials only smart materials and new technologies - what did AQA say?

3. just found this - hope it helps

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2560-W-TRB-SMT.PDF

4. I've just rung AQA to ask if they can define the term Modern Materials in the same way they define Smart Materials and was told that they could not give advice on the meaning and was to chack the specification. I asked if many people have contacted them and was told lots of teachers have rung with the same question, I pointed out that some pupils are going to have the wrong info taught to them if we can't define the terms and so many teachers need guidance. Smart Materials - no problem, Modern Materials - too waffy!!

5. AQA sort of implied that I was cheating by asking for some clarification ! They said they could not give me any information regarding the exam paper! This wasn't what I was asking for just a clear guideline so I can direct my pupils. Obviously from looking at other replies it is a concern for many teachers. Will stick to the AQA definition of modern fabrics as outlined on the resource sheet on their website. At the end of the day the pupils only have to label a design and not actually make anything - so a childrens bullet proof playmat , made from Kevlar, decorated with toucans should meet all the criteria.

6. This is the line I am taking. Hope it is right. Bit worried after I've seen the comments. Why are AQA being so awkward with their response?
    :-(

7. This is the line I am taking. Hope its right, bit worried after seeing all of the comments. And why is AQA being awkward on their reponse??
    :-(

8. Go to :
    http://www.textileshotline.co.uk/textileshotline/Newsletter_files/April.pdf

I am also including Lyocell as a modern fabric just to be safe!

9. Can't wait to see the applique on Kevlar! :)

10. Yes, I interpreted it as this. I think they want bamboo, the new wonder fibre in there. I think this is also going with the rainforest theme. (Plants, sustainability, etc.)

11. How about Tencel? In the AQA textbook. Looks like it could fit the bill in many respects.

12. sophiamiller

sophiamiller New commenter

from an AQA course hand out i have the following:
    <font size="3">Modern materials are developed through the invention of new or improved processes, for example, as a result of manufactured materials/ingredients or human intervention, and not through naturally occurring changes. They are altered to perform a particular function.</font><u><font size="3">Examples</font></u>Kevlar is a versatile material which is strong, tough, stiff, high-melting and well suited for uses such as radial tyres, heat or flame-resistant fabrics and bullet-proof clothing. It can also be used for protective gloves when using powered cutting knivesMaterials using nanotechnology<font size="3">Nano-fibres are very fine fibres (about 1% of the width of a human hair) which can be engineered for different end uses. These fibres are extremely lightweight, smooth and very strong. They are produced from carbon ore ceramic materials, spun and collected in non-woven felt-like sheets. They can be added to a base of other fibres such as cotton, wool or polyester. Uses: self-cleaning fabrics used for underwear, work wear, sportswear, fabrics used for catering and hospital uses, lightweight bullet proof clothing. Because these fibres are so fine, a large sheet of nano-fibre can be folded so it takes up a very small space. They can be breathable which allows perspiration to pass through but prevent larger water (rain) to pass through, so good for sportswear and protective clothing.</font><font size="3">Gore-tex</font><font size="3">Nomex</font><font size="3">Phosphorescent textiles</font><font size="3">Reflective textile using glass beads</font><font size="3">Fabrics that wick moisture away from the body, eg. Coolmax</font><font size="3">Microencapsulated fibres (which release scents)</font><font size="3">Fabrics which protect against bacteria</font><font size="3">Fabrics with electronics</font><font size="3">Geotextiles</font>