1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE task banks

Discussion in 'English' started by Carnhot, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Am I being dim, or are these not where e aqa ays they are?

2. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Dunno - I have the AQA A ones. Have had for ages. Where are you looking and have you signed in to eAqa?

3. I was looking on e aqa for the task banks for 2011 controlled assessments. I just can't get my school head on straight.

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

5. After much wrangling with AQA Manchester and e-AQA 'help' desk, I finally found the new task banks on e-AQA. You need a secure log-in which your Exams Officer can set up for you. Why they're in the secure area, I have no idea given that we can release titles to kids any time we like. One confused lad at AQA Manchester said it's to stop WJEC and the like "copying our questions" (!?)
    IMHO needlessly difficult to get hold of.
    Also, during our 'Preparing to Teach' seminar in April, we were given task banks and told that they would be the tasks used through to 2012. NOT the case - some have changed! Entirely unhelpful for any teachers who attended the training and took the AQA adviser's word on it. As it is, I've had to re-write half my ELH SoW to fit the new 'hero' task.

6. Grab a pen for this one:
    <ol>[*]Log into secure area of e-AQA [*]Go to'Recent Exam Materials'[*]Select 'Series G'[*]Select Qualification 'GCSE'[*]Click 'Go'[*]Select Subject 'English'[*]Click 'Go'[*]Select Specification 'English A'[*]Click 'Show Materials'[*]Look down to the bottom of the list - over on the right of the screen and you'll see the task banks for 2010-2012. Click to download. </ol>

7. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

The box below the specimen says that the actual tasks are available on eAQA - sorry if this wasn't clear.

8. anteater

anteater New commenter

I hope I'm not being really thick here (and I'm not a HOD and don't have access to e aqa), but our dept seems to be working on the assumption that the tasks are the same as the specimen ones in the almost transparent folder of materials we all got with the new anthologies. I was even there when my HOD phoned up and asked for clarification about one of the tasks, and they didn't say they weren't the right tasks. It was a "creative" task about a newspaper running a column called "Don't get me started on...!"
    Is this not the case?

9. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

They aren't. Well, not those on the AQA web site, anyway.

10. anteater

anteater New commenter

Thanks, gruoch, for the quick reply!
    So, let me get this straight - you are talking about the tasks we can use with the Y10s who will be starting <u>this </u>September? I just want to mke sure that's the case before I start trying to contact my HOD and tell her that the things we were expecting to do are void!

11. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I don't know about anything that may have arrived in schools. I have the Unit 3 Lang, Lit and English tasks which I could email you, so you could check them against what you have if that helps.

12. anteater

anteater New commenter

The things that arrived in school are Specimen Conrolled Assessment Tasks - and they are the same as the specimen tasks on the aqa website. We were told that these things are the actual tasks - but obviously they aren't, if there is something else on the secure part of the website!
    Would be very grateful if you could e mail me the tasks so I can check, as you say, and then see if I can contact my HOD before we go back. Will PM you my e mail address so it doesn't appear on here. Thanks for your help.

13. So it's not just me, then!
    Thanks for all the help. I have e aqa access so i will go back using the step by step guide provided by an earlier poster. Thanks.

14. Could I please see the tasks that you have got because I have the specimen tasks and assumed that these were the actual tasks!

Thanks

imy1875@yahoo.co.uk

15. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

They are available via eAqa

16. Specimen tasks are specimens NOT the real ones.
    The real ones, which, as I trawled through them, seem to be valid for a 2 year cycle, are on e-AQA.
    You need to get this sorted because you will need to be starting some controlled assessments in a few week's time. I think the idea with the new course is that we all hit the ground running, lol.

17. weeks...

18. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

email me, I have them in pdf format.

zoebrunning@gmail.com

19. Hi,
    Im after the English literature task bank please for 2012 -can anyone help?