1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE submission predicted grades

Discussion in 'English' started by Spassky, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

We are being asked to input predicted grades for each pupil for each module. (And possibly each section of the coursework? I've not checked yet.) We queried this but apparently it is AQA and not the school exams office asking for this info. This seems ridiculous considering that AQA refused to sharegrade equivalents for the mark scheme, not to mention just plain onerous. Anyone else doing this?

2. To me, it sounds like your school are enforcing this as I teach AQA and dont know about this!!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Yes, I've seen the forms - not each CA but you have to do a grade for the Lang ones and another for the Lit one. And for speaking and listening. And for the exam. There's another lunchtime gone ...

4. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

I have spent HOURS and HOURS on this, as we have Year 10 doing some exams as well. Total nightmare. Predicting what they'll get on their coursework? they wouldn't $%^&*( tell us what the grade boundaries $%^&*( were!!!!!!

Grumble bloomin' paperwork grumble grumble...

5. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Ridiculous. 12 months ago they flatly refused to share boundaries. We were advised to stop our narrow thinking in restrictive terms of mere grades, to let go and use the force, to embrace bands, to stop being so anally retentive about C/D borderlines.

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I do sympathise with you all at this time of the year dealing with the relentless deadlines and rules about what to submit and when but please stop lambasting AQA for "refusing to share the grade equivalents". This was a DfE initiative and applies to all awarding bodies.

7. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I find it a bit confusing, as surely we can find out the 'answer' to what they actually got by going to the UMS converter section on the website.

Let's say I have one candidate whom I see as an A* student. I judge his Unit 3 controlled assessment folder to be, on the whole, an A*. In reality, he got 70/80: the A/A* borderline on the site is 72/80. So - do I write down A* because of what I feel his whole folder represents, or do I write down A because that's what the numbers work out as?

8. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm, not so sure that regentsreject incorrect when she says that views on this thread are not representative of English teachers. They certainly seem typical of teachers from different schools that I've spoken to about thiese specs (not just AQA). There also seems to be an increasing interest in the new certificates and iGCSE, and if lot of schools stick with traditional GCSEs it may be that many of them would gladly jump ship if allowed to by their schools' SMTs. When we moderated, we graded candidates' folders, put them in rank order and put numbers on them. When folders are called, we are, as a department going to mark them to justify the mark. It's not the AQA way and we may come unstuck but using the mark schemes meant that we had very few 'A*' folders, and our C folders were too low. For now, we're not going to mark our y10 CAs with numbers, just grades. Seriously considering new Certificates with Edexcel or OCR.

9. anteater

anteater New commenter

Simpler to go back and give the student more marks!

10. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Slightly patronising to dismiss valid points as resistance to change. And not a single one has been acknowledged! I can't believe they weren't understood. The irony of asking for predicted grades is glaringly blatant.

What about a hypothetical nqt who swallowed the aqa line about being unable to correlate the new mark schemes with grades? It is not possible for this reverent, plucky apprentice to assign a predicted grade without remarking, surely, now that we've all freed our minds of the petty shackles of grade-centred thought. If only we had some correlative frame of reference outside the shimmering realm of bands.

Still at least all those predictions won't be in vain. All of those posting unrepresentative views on tes English forum, and the change-dodging few who echo our uncomprehending jeers and grunts in departmental meetings everywhere, will get their reward: the knowledge that our predicted grades will be acknowledged by aqa and directly inform the process of assigning grades. Aqa will definitely be able to use them in that way.

*facepalm*

11. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

In the midst of OFTED -I should NOT be posting on here but procrastinating!
    Interesting thread. Just input my data as requested by my exams officer. I agree, for all the reason mentioned, that it is pointless. Call me spineless but I just did it. It took me less than 10 mins. It cannot be read as anything other than a 'guess.' However, an i apologise if this has been mentioned (busy night, I just skim read this thread!) I am told that the data is in case the student is not able to do the exam at the last minute or something and they need an 'expected 'grade.
    Am I just gullible?
    God I wish it were Friday!
    Liz

12. Don't we all have estimates already? FFT data or similar. We get office staff to input these predicted grades for us. In my experience none of the estimates we send off are in any way useful. It may be urban myth, but I think I read somewhere that they only kick in if more than a grade out either way.