1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE results

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Lyns, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I am considering doing this this year. How does this work? Does a moderator see them in Year 10 aswell as Year 11? So that effectively they are entered twice?
    Thanks

2. No you can't do the practical bit twice, only the written exam. But I'm moving to WJEC now. I can't stand the stress any longer

3. I totally get where you are coming from,but a word of warning, out of the frying pan into the fire...a knee jerk reaction to a bad set of results may not necessarily give you improved grades two years down the line.All the exam boards have shifted their boundaries and let's face it, drama marks tend toward irrational at the best of times. At least with AQA you can actually enjoy the practical and be responsible for sixty percent of the marks without huge interference.moving boards is a big step and costly . Perhaps a stiff letter of complaint would result in remarking.I once got a whole cohort raised up by several marks resulting in several grade changes after complaining to AQA.

4. You make excelent points, ukpaul; these are much more clearly put than I have ever seen on similar posts.
    It is some consolation, that others are baflled, but it is dreadful.
    The Principal Moderator for Unit 1 at AQA is Alan Hayes. He is the one who could perhaps answer your questions.
    I suggested last year that the format of the paper changed a lot from the original 2010 examplars, and that some of the wording was confusing e.g.: "as an actor, designer or technician" - when students can only be marked as one of these on the question. There was no intention of making the paper altering the wording of the paper to make it clearer in that respect. Last year, there was uproar when the Paper 1 information was distributed, following the comparatively calm Standardisation on Paper 2. I have moved on to Edexcel but there is a lot of unrest there too for the examined unit. However, at least with a practical examined unit, I would have a copy of their performance and would have seen it myself. I have, however, lost so much uptake to GCSE because of the dip in marks, that there will perhaps be no A level uptake in the corresponding cohort. This is a cost to AQA as well as the students and teachers.

5. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

Another shocker here. Last year we got an extended review with some improvements in the end. This year it was another mystery. 42 students. Exactly the same number as last year. about 90% of them scored 9 or 10 for section A but the rest of the paper for the majority was abysmal. some 5's, 3's 2's and even 1's. Some able students getting F's and G's!!! A small handful got A* and A's which is a testament to the hard work we put in to improving the outcome of this unit.

Awaiting remarks, but, seriously. What is going on?

I have lost at least 6 students who would have taken AS, but, perhaps worse of all, I am losing confidence in myself and my colleagues to deliver this unit to an acceptable standard. Moving boards is an option, but the personal and professional desire to crack this keeps me searching for answers.

AQA need to consider the effect this is having on the young people and the professionals who have trusted them for so many years. But the post exam process is unnecessary, time consuming, draining and depressing.