1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Prelim material - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ms media, May 16, 2011.

1. So frustrating we don't get the questions. Just looked at it and still feel a bit in the dark. I reckon perhaps they might want them to draw a trailer storyboard if its TV. Unless its something a bit different like the start of a 'making of' documentary.
    I gues the 'how to promote the film to our target audiences' gives them a chance to use their knowledge of other promotional techniques...
    Any thoughts?

2. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I think key points are:

* Family friendly
    * Not too many special effects
    * Global Appeal
    * Tv Focus on marketing

I guess this means TV trailer, maybe a making of programme, or an interview on a chat show with one of the actors / director.. One of my students even suggested planning a tv advert for his merchandise (action figures etc) ...

Do we think that where it says "a focus on television" that ALL the design tasks will be for TV related stuff or just the main one?

3. I was imagining the following:
    Task 1 - codes and conventions and perhaps representation
    Task 2 - institutions and audiences - why they are made, why they are popular and with whom.
    Task 3 - ideas for film and synopsis.
    Task 4 - storyboard for TV trailer.
    I guess I'll have them revise storyboarding techniques and then it could fit to making of or a merchandise advert.
    The merchandise seems an interesting idea. They do say 'we want your suggestions about how to promote the film' so they'll likely have to show an awareness of all the different techniques.

4. In last year's paper (Reality TV, 2010 ) the tasks were:
    Task 1: K+U
    Task 2: Pitch ideas for new show
    Task 3: Marketing and promoting question
    Task 4: Production piece
    I think this year's paper will be very similar. It mentions in the brief that students must provide suggestions for marketing strategies through TV. They may have to talk about the bebefits of TV being a good way to advertise the film. Task 4 may be a 10 frame storyboard for a teaser trailer.
    What do you think?

5. I may be being thick but what do you mean by K+U?

6. I am guessing knowledge and understanding.
    I am disappointed it is likely to be a storyboard. I think it's hard to do well, hard to mark (I am examining!) and dull. Was hoping for a website or poster; anything but the blooming never ending storyboards!
    The rest is ok I think.

7. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Yep, we're a bit underwhelmed.
    Liz

8. sylvanette

sylvanette New commenter

I'm sure last year's paper had a choice of production tasks? So surely the students will have a choice of storyboard OR.... something else? Perhaps, sticking wit

9. sylvanette

sylvanette New commenter

grr, cut off.
    sticking with TV focus that will be hard to do, though

10. I went on the AQA exam training course and there seemed to be a push on global audiences and representation of ethnicity. I think a question might relate to accounting for AA popularity around the world. They might be asked to design their main characters, bearing the brief in mind and which actors they might want to play them. There's almost certainly going to be something asking them to do a storyboard. I'm going to get my students to do a marketing campaign for their films, with a trailer included. That way, they'll be covered.

11. I feel the same, storyboards are dull and hard to excel at. I was also thinking (or hoping!) of a possibility of a poster that could be represented in a TV magazine of some sort. Not an exciting brief that's for sure.

12. We picked the paper apart using the basis of last year's exam questions as a basis.
    We came up with K and U - focus on why AA films are popular and why they might be criticised.
    Writng a pitch for our own AA film.
    We also thought designing an advertising campaign for said film with focus being upon marketing through TV would be likely to come up.For advertising we considered things such as a trailer, teaser trailer, a "Making of" programme and interviews both ones dedicated to the film and those "on the couch" interviews we find on chat shows.
    We have also considered the studios and directors of AA films, costings and certification and I know the kids will squeeze it into their answers somewhere!
    The creative piece could be anything - likely to be a storyboard for the trailer (teaser), a web advert/page for the film, a poster or even a DVD cover.
    We couldn't really think what else could be asked but if anyone has ideas please post.

Thanks, JRT

13. lizgaskell

Sounds good JRT.
    Very similar to my thoughts except, although I have asked them to think carefully about marketing, I don't expect we'll be asked for a poster or web page as a practical piece. Might be wrong but we are focusing on the TV angle. Mind you, they have done posters/ storyboards for coursework so they know how to do this.
    DVD cover is possible- good way to present title and synopsis?
    We did loads of work on audience for third coursework assignment and I am encouraging them to revise this.
    Lose most of my lot to maths revision anyway first week back; Media Studies is not a priority.
    Liz

14. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

If it's not too late, I think there might be some mileage in the differences between certifcates.
    The pre-lim suggests a "Universal" audience - do we take that at face value and pitch a U certificate or a 12 / 12A?
    I'm seeing my students tomorrow for a "tutorial" (they're on study leave [​IMG] ) and I'm going to suggest that they do some work on BBFC and the differences between those three certificates. Possibly how to make a 12A acceptable to a U audience?

15. lizgaskell

Good thinking Mr Puss. Mine have spent quite some time on this- luckily we were not swayed by the action movies and stuck mainly to Pirates..., Nim's Island, Indy films (12A, 12, U and PG).
    I have asked mine to consider ways they may be asked to show understanding of Representation; perhaps costume/props of hero and villain?
    Hoping for anything but a bloomin' storyboard; as has been said before, they really cannot draw and will spend too long fretting over their stick men!
    Like you say, at this stage (and with so many other demands on them form other departments) it may all be too late.
    BTW, I have to leave mine tomorrow to teach a maths session- ???
    Liz