1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Photography

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by glassychic, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hello all,

I am putting together a proposal to my school to start up a GCSE (digital) photography course as a way of engaging my boys. We already offer Fine Art and 3D Art.

What did you find were the initial start up requirements as far as equipment, ICT programs? What course hints can you offer or interesting websites? Anything really!! I saw an earlier thread but some of the info was from 2004 so thought there might be new members that could offer support.

Thanks in advance

Amanda

2. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

How many in a group? Better to not share cameras. Each students having their own memory card. Colour printing.

I ran this course for a few years at a PRU. Got great results, but did have small groups and excellent resources. Used Macs and ran lightroom. Each student had a Nikon D3100 and we had a number of different lenses and stand alone lighting to set up 'studio' shots. Lots of resources on this site.

Good luck. The students really enjoyed it particularly being able to see their images and then wanted to improve what had been captured. Did have a background in creative teaching though and had been fortunate in working in London with Creative Partnerships and HT's very supportive in encouraging creativity in the classroom across the curriculum.

3. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

DLSR cameras - at least 4 - Nikons in my experience are the best. Some additional digital cameras. Photoshop Software, and easy access to a colour printer. We also presented our work in A3 Display Folders.

4. lizziegrace

lizziegrace New commenter

Hi! I posted a reply to a similar theme here afew moths ago...we do OCR though.HTH?

5. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

On subject matter: Why not combine photography with poetry? I'm a poet who writes for every age group and I should think on every subject. Sometimes it is difficult to interest boys in poetry, but if they were going to combine photography with poetry to make, for example, a calendar or a book which linked together poetry and photography it could be interesting. As far as interesting teenagers with poetry, I've written many sports poems and I think they would go well with photography. Get in touch with me if you're interested in using my work. Let's see what we can do together.