1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Photography

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by rhegarty, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi,

I, like many others on this forum, am in the process of developing schemes of learning for a new digital photography course starting Sept 2011/12. Your suggestions seem spot on and I have found the artist connections you suggested very interesting. On a day to day basis through your course, how do you incorporate the technical aspect of photography (aperture,shutter speed, lighting, photoshop... etc) Do you have any top tips for a fledgling Photography teacher? Could i be so bold as to visit your department!?!
    Any help most appreciated....

Paul.

2. Hi Rahmans, can you tell me if you mark the portfolio's as you go along? i am wondering whether to mark it but not too sure about leaving comments on the pages? do you have a system for marking i.e. putting it on a post it note or do you go straight ahead and write on the page?
    thanking you in advance for your time
    Jen x

3. Hi, would you be able to offer any support advice for gcse photography course in its second year but not great results. I've just checked out your Flickr site-wow! Our final outcomes are quite good but the coursework in between is letting grades down. Our kids struggle with literacy which is something we are working on but has an impact on attainment. Any ideas? Thanks x

4. Hi jakay1, yes I do mark the work as we go along. I don't leave comments on the actual pages but do use post it notes on specific pages to comment on what needs to be improved so they an throw away the post it note after they've improved it. I've designed a marking sheet which just tells the student what their target grade is, what their actual current grade is, 3 good things about their work so far and then a list of bullet points of what they need to do to imporve their current grade. this sheet is then put into the back of their folder/portfolio. I also keep a checklist to 'tick off' what each child has completed and what's missing - they are also given this same checklist. the checklist just lists each task for each page, e.g., 2 pages of artist research, etc. I probably try and 'officially' mark their work every half term but observe their progress every lesson anyway. hope that helps.

5. Hi u04clc2,
    I don't know how much help I can give, but here goes! Make yourself a checklist at the start of each project to give to the kids telling them what should be on each page, eg, title page, artist research, plan for photoshoot 1, etc. Keep a copy for yourself with each childs name on it. You can tick off what they have done everytime you mark the work, they can tick off what they've done on their checklist and higher achievers will use their common sense and start to work ahead according to the checklist. Apart from that, regular detentions for missing work, phone calls home etc have helped me to 'drag' children up to date who fall behind right from the start of the course. with regards to literacy, on the exam board guidance for art/photography, students cannot be marked down for poor spelling,etc, the context of what their saying is important. We don't do lots of writing in our books, I have seen other schools do loads of writing but remember, this is a visual subject, i would say 85% images to 15% writing. Proformas or your own exemplars of what to write on their pages tends to help the least able.

6. Paulatwork

Paulatwork New commenter

There is a really good photoshop clone online as a chrome web ap. Go to the Chrome Web Store and search for Pixlr Editor. It's free and will do most thing that earlier versions of photoshop can do. I recommend it to all my students. Pixlr do a whole rand of editing programs, Pixlr-o-matic is another one I use a lot.

jmv3 likes this.
  7. What GCSE courses are you all running specifically? I'm looking for a course that is solely Photography and not as part of a GCSE Art & Design course.

Thanks

8. Look at www.kenrockwell.com; there's resources here on the TES site opts etc you can download; try ww.thephotographyteacher.com as well there's stiff for GCSE as well as AS and A2
    buy Phaidon's The Photography Book which is just like The Art Book and The 21st Century Art Book; you could also get their The Film Book - nice for "looks"

9. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

http://keynoteeducational.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_23&products_id=1690&osCsid=f9adc2fe4144f965f62744f40862fcae

10. Hi GCSE starting up.
    The course should be based around the balance of Assessmet Objectives.We are with AQA.Compared to the pressure of AS and A2 because portfolios have to be assembled within one school year when teaching GCSE there is an opportunity to use Year 10 as a comprehensive introduction to the range of skills and knowledge underpinning Photography as a creative experience.
    it doesn't really matter where you start.I think it's advisable to start from aspect that you are confident in delivering.We combine practical lessons with home learning back up.We use the school site as a convenient location to explore the language pf photography.Eg,after a short intro'they'll go outside to explore something,say finding 20 different surface textures in 20 mins.On return they upload the images onto their personal school sites.They then must print out the images as 'thumbnails' or contact sheets.They then must analyse thet results and make decisions about effective images and why. This is then extended to Home Learning to continue at home and out of school to reinforce the learning.Again,contact prints are created and added to the school based work.They have a file innschool into which all their contact prints are stored.This is evidence of study and is vital as a backup to have available for the visiting moderator atbthe end of the course.It is the equivalent of a sketchbook for art students. This continues lesson avert lessons so they use their cameras several times a week. End of lessons are used to introduce photographers who show different approaches and question and answer sessions help to peel off lyres of understanding.
    have a look at the GCSE resources for Photography KS4 I've put several assignments that we use to introduce varied challenges for creative approaches.
    tell them you expect 200 photographs per week at least! it's takes less than half a second to take an image so that's 100 secs in all 1 min 40 secs. Not a big slice of time to invest !!
    Cheers Phil TOOTELL Beal High School. LBR REdbridge,. Philtootell.webeden.co.uk
    Philiptootell@btinternet.com

11. HI, You've got really useful advice already,If it would help I've posted several assignment titles in the TES resources GCSE photography section. It's a constant challenge to keep up to date with contemporary developments in Photography,things change so quickly.I photograph resources all the time including my own work to keep the inputs interesting.Each lesson the students see something new even if only for five mins on the whiteboard.We draw over images indicating element that contribute to creative results. You need to photograph or download images form the history of photography to have on your memory stick that can be immediately shown to back up projects I've collected nearly 1500 images this way and it's great for constant reference during lessons.Hope younhave easy access to the whiteboard because it's so powerful as a teaching tool.I'm of the generation of chalk White wipe off boards so this has been a revelation to me!!
    All the best. Phil Tootell. Philtootell.webeden.co.uk. Philiptootell@btinternet.com
    Beal High School. LBR Redbridge

12. I'm just developing a GCSE Photography website. It's got a link to my blog, and my pinterest board. If any of the ideas are worth borrowing, I'd love to know how people get on with them.

www.gcsephotography.co.uk

13. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Hi, Start this course in Sept 2013. Need ideas of how many cameras I need, and how to store and present work.

Thanks!

14. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Hi, Does anyone teach AQA GCSE Photography on here who is in the North West area? Would like to make some contacts and develop a network of teachers to share ideas and help each other out.

15. Hi, I teach AQA photography at a school in Orrell, Wigan

16. Hi, I'm based in Blackpool if it's any good to you

17. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Can I see some examples of your pupils work at all? Also, I'm struggling to think of project ideas that are logistically possible to do.......there's only so much you can do in a classroom, and pupils aren't always able to bring props or things to photograph all the time.

18. I have used Neil Rowland and Peter Aitchinson as photographers from Manchester taking photos of Manchester. Amy Gibbons (I think it is spelt this way)is anther photographer that may be useful

street Photography, wall art have been popular with pupils, old and new architecture reflections was also popular

19. Like most people in the forum, I am also new to the AQA GCSE, AS and A-Level Photography course. I'll be teaching both GCSE and AS in the fall and would love to get started on developing (or acquiring) the resources and wrapping my head around a scheme of work.

If anyone can offer assistance I can be reached at aleks.todorovic@johnmadejskiacademy.co.uk

I'll happily share resources I develop during the year if anyone is interested.

Many thanks!

Aleks

20. Zoki59

Zoki59 New commenter

Hi, Does anyone have any examples of A, B, and C grade photography work that they could photograph and email me at all? Even better, could do with a contact in the Manchester area who also teaches this. I teach the AQA spec. Thanks.