1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Photography

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by rhegarty, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hi
    Im trying to set up a Photography course, i've got lots of topics id like to look at with students however Im struggling with the following things:
    <ol>[*]Finding recognised Photographers to use as examples / create an image in the style of to cover the Assessment Objectives.[*]Creating Assignment names </ol>Here are the topics i'd like to look into:
    • Social Repotage - Martin Parr (I could do with some more)
    • Urban / City Landscape photography-No ideas-Any good examples from Manchester / Liverpool
    • Digital Imagery-David Hockney / Graham Holland
    • Lomography-Ive seen many examples-but dont know how id make it fit into the assesment objectives and also the cameras look expensive.
    I would really appriciate any help with any photographers names and ideas for topics to look at with the kids.

Thanks in advance

2. Hi
    Im trying to set up a Photography course, i've got lots of topics id like to look at with students however Im struggling with the following things:
    <ol>[*]Finding recognised Photographers to use as examples / create an image in the style of to cover the Assessment Objectives.[*]Creating Assignment names </ol>Here are the topics i'd like to look into:
    • Social Repotage - Martin Parr (I could do with some more)
    • Urban / City Landscape photography-No ideas-Any good examples from Manchester / Liverpool
    • Digital Imagery-David Hockney / Graham Holland
    • Lomography-Ive seen many examples-but dont know how id make it fit into the assesment objectives and also the cameras look expensive.
    I would really appriciate any help with any photographers names and ideas for topics to look at with the kids.

Thanks in advance

3. Project titles we have covered include;
    • viewpoints
    • food
    • object/subject
    • 'British'
    • Urban life - based this around a quote rather than a sepcific title for pupils to interpret 'the life of our city is rich in poetic and marvelous subjects. We are enveloped and steeped as though in an atmosphere of the marvelous; but we do not notice it.' - Charles Baudelaire
    All very open to interpretation - in my experience this works better than something very narrow or specific. There are loads of resources available through the tes resources section though I'm sure you've already checked here. For urban landscapes look at Aaron Siskind and Andrew Brooks. Hope this helps in some way.
    [​IMG]

4. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

http://www.lighthouse.tv/pdfs/ART018_Lighthouse%20Flyer%20SS%20temp.pdf
    Might be useful.

5. Hello,
    I've been teaching GCSE Photography at my school for 3 years now with 100% A*-C grades every year. Although your topic choices sound great, remember that these are teenagers who want to be inspired and excited by the projects so to make them 'fall in love' with photography, I do topics such as 'Weird & Wonderful' (magic, doppelgangers, horror, superpowers, etc) and 'Issues' (mental health, teen rebellion, addictions, etc) which sparks a lot of exciting interest and debate.
    My other bit of advice is, don't become obsessed by 'well known' or 'traditional, classic' photographers (boring!), check out websites such as weheartit.com, deviant art, tumblr, flickr and find examples of work that link to your projects.
    And finally, don't worry about lomography cameras, most photo editing programs have a lomography effect which students can layer onto their images.
    Check out some examples of my students work and message me for any further advice, hope that helps!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rvhs/sets/72157627588296607/

studentanna likes this.
  6. I agree with the previous posters about keeping the projects inspiring and exciting - try not to make them too specific or it could end up stiffling the creativity!
    I've been teaching GCSE photography using AQA for 7 years now and we have always done well by allowing the students to be expressive and to experiment and explore within photography. Lomography has a cult following nowadays but it's expensive to buy enough cameras and to be honest this would be better suited for AS/A2 when students want to explore the subject further. In the meantime have a look at the online tutorials here: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-digital-photos-look-like-lomo-photography
    It's a brilliant tutorial and they have loads more on there for other photoshop techniques.
    I agree with Rahmans about not sticking to well known or traditional photographers too much - encourage your students to explore lesser known photographers as often these are the truely inspirational people with the quirky ideas and innovative methods.
    The other thing to remember is that the exam boards like to encourage independent learning and that if you are too specific within your projects then it could mean that your students rely too heavily on you to supply them with ideas when really they need to be exploring their topic and coming up with the idea on their own.
    I hope that helps and goodluck! [​IMG]

7. Thanks for your help everyone. The topics sound exciting and wide open to interpretation. As we live in Blackpool im sure their are lots of inspiration for them to get ideas from! [​IMG]
    The posts have been really helpfull. I might be back in touch as Ive contacted a few schools in the local area and havent had any response from anyone, which hasnt been at all helpfull. [​IMG]
    Does anyone use Blogging instead of a 'normal' sketch book? Is used successfully for assessed work?

8. Hi there,
    I would recommend the website masters-of-photography.com . This website is an invaluable resource for our HOD for teaching a BTEC photography unit.
    [​IMG]

9. Hi there,

I have just read your post and found it really interesting, i have also just looked at your flickr website and have found it really inspiring!

I have recently set up GCSE, and A Level photography in my school and having seen your post feel that i would love to adapt my projects to include weird and wonderful or issues aspects. Could you please give me the names of any of the photographers that you suggested for each project? If you have any other suggestions or material then it would be gratefully appreciated!

Best wishes,

Jenny

10. Hi,
    For Issues, we looked at the following: Richard Billingham ('Ray's a laugh', alcoholic father and poverty), Larry Clark ('Tulsa', teenage sex and drugs), James Mollison (stereotypes of people going to certain gigs), Nikki S Lee ('Projects', stereotypes in society), Shirin Neshat (identity), Donna Ferrato (domestic violence), Franko B (violence).
    For Weird and Wonderful: Tim Burton, Marc Ryden, Gottfried Helnwein, Annie Lebovitz, Wendy Mc Murdo, Miss Aniele, Chris Cunningham, Joshua Hoffine, Erwin Wurm and the following links too:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/amyspanos365/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/this-love-is-cursed/4446636208/
    http://yowayowacamera.com/
    hope that helps!

11. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

http://www.lighthouse.tv/pdfs/ART018.pdf there are courses to help you do this......

12. Hi,
    The Saatchi Gallery will be opening a new photography show on the 25th April called OUT OF FOCUS. I think you will find some inspiring and engaging themes in the exhibtion such as Mind and Memory, A Sense of Place, Bonds of family, friends and tribes, Gender Tensions and The Body. There will be a free teacher's evening on 3rd May taking you through all the themes and offering insightful information on the photographs in the exhibtion!

13. Hi, I'd be interested in seeing other people's schemes of work out of curiosity as I've looking to start delivering Photography as a full GCSE. Currently we just feed into the Art & Design GCSE.

Does anyone delivery Photography at Level 1?

14. Hi,
    Does anyone know of any digital photograph editors that are free and decent or less expensive. Would like to set up digital photography GCSE and wondering if it's possible without Adobe photoshop or elements? Just looking into costings and viability etc.....

Thanks

15. David Hockney and Judith Golden are great ones to use! I?m about to use them for a year 9 course!

16. Hi Christan west, have you heard of GIMP ? Its a free download that allows you to do many things that photoshop allows you!
    http://www.gimp.org/

17. Hi Artcrisis, I can't access your link (have tried previous ones too), any tips to why that is?
    thanks

18. I have been teaching Photography GCSE within my Art class to usually 1 pupil at a time. With new management changes, I have been asked to teach it as a full GCSE to a class of about 15. We currently have very little equipment. Only 2 properly working compacts 10 mega pixel, and 10 PC's with no decent software, and not all working anyway. I have been told there will be a budget, but sch is strapped for cash (with staff hrs being cut) and so I know there won't be much cash avail. I was wondering if people could advise with cheapish alternatives. Was hoping to do some movie also, as got involved in a community film last yr and learned a lot, which would like to pass on, but have no video cameras. Can people suggest:
    Suppliers
    Camera names (poss with built in video)
    Software
    PC V Macs. do I have to have Macs for film making (used macs for our film but sch don't have them).
    Cheers

19. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

I wonder why the link doesn't work...google Lighthouse Professional Development and go the art courses, you'll find the Photography course in there.

20. Hello

I hope you dont mind me emailing you...

Im a new teacher about to embark on her GTP (I've been teaching since feb unqualified after recently moving from fashion to teaching!) and I've been given the task of teaching yr 2 of GCSE photography!

Ive been searching a few areas of this forum and I noticed your thread and that you teach this subject and have done excellently for 3+ years!

Do you still teach this? is it AQA or Edexcel? and do you work at a school in or near London?

If so, would it be possible for me to ask you some advice on SOW, teaching etc? Perhaps even visit to observe your photography department?

No worries if not - I appreciate you are probably up to your eyes in it as I am!

Thanks

Chloe Henderson
    Teacher of art, design and technology.