1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Photography Exam

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by foxbat, Mar 1, 2018.

1. foxbat

foxbat New commenter

Hi All
    Just a quick question about how any of you manage the 10 hour photography exam.
    We have two days back to back with all students in a computer room for the whole 10 hours.
    We work all online and produce a digital portfolio, students do some mixed media work and work in Photoshop.

I have come back from the standardisation meeting recently and the guidelines have been reiterated that all preliminary work must cease the day the exam starts and no work can be added or removed or edited in it. That no images can be taken away and printed professionally after the 10 hour session (in case Jessops/other professional printers improve the students work) Students can of course send work to be printed professionally as long as it is sent during the 10 hour session. And if they have a printer in the classroom they can print to that too.

So what do you guys plan to do during the 10 hours?

Best Regards

2. amimamim

amimamim New commenter

3. Paulatwork

Paulatwork New commenter

I always run the 10 hours as independent work, they could be doing pretty much anything other than taking photos unsupervised. Under the new spec students can still pretty much do anything as long as it is clearly identified as work done in the 10 hours - maybe add coloured stickers to clearly identify it. They cannot change any of their preliminary work but they can add to it as long as it is identified as having been done in the 10 hours. So no work can be sent off to be printed or mounted outside of the 10 hour block. At the beginning of the 10 hours all work must be taken and kept safe, at the end everything has to be handed in.

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Just had a touch of nostalgia for 1996 when (at 42) I did A level photography with a Nikon SLR and Bronica. Built a darkroom in my garden shed, turned my living room into a studio, experimented with lighting for maximum contrast and perfected the art of solarisation. Happy days.