1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Performing Arts

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by ASTREAT, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hello there. I wonder if anyone can help me. I notice that teachers on the forum are discussing the new AQA GCSE Performg Arts course that began last year. I am an AST and Head of Music in a Stockport Secondary comprehensive school and need some help finding out first-hand about the course by 'seeing it for myself'. The AQA will not give me info on any centres that are running it as they are data proctected. The AQA Report from last year reads well... We (Music, Dance and Drama) are hoping to deliver it as a KS4 option from September and I have all the written materials but would appreciate visiting a couple of school in the Greater Manchester area to see you and the students in action and discuss any 'pros and cons' you may have found in the first year. None of the secondary schools in Stcokport have gone for this course - they all seem to have taken up BtECHs - we need the GCSE in our case. I would be very much appreciate anyone who can help me here. With thanks.

2. Mad dog

Mad dog New commenter

Nottingham based if you're interested

3. Im in the North East - its a shames as im sure my HOD got given a list of schools in our local area that do the course. Iv taught it for 3 years and love it.
    Regards
    PS I've sent u a PM - re schools to maybe visit in are area. ;o)

4. hi Misssmile
    Many thanks for your reply. I'm very new to the site. You say you have kindly set me a PM. Not sure how I get this info... please can you help.

Thanks again

5. Hello when you log in you have an inbox at the top - iv sent you a message to there regards smile

6. We're Oldham based but in our first year......

Saggi

7. Hiya, I've decided to run AQA perf arts instead of BTEC Music as of Sept 2012. I've run GCSE Music before BTEC Music, I'm not sure where to start with Perf Arts but I'm based in the NorthEast (Newcastle) and wondered if there was any chance of meeting up/emailing etc to get some ideas.Thanks, Bel

8. Hi guys. We're altering our KS4 options and are considering the GCSE performing arts (as well as running GCSE music) Any recommendations? Pitfall? We're a South Yorkshire school if anyone could help? Thankyou in advance.

9. Hi,

I'm at a Wigan school, so not too far away. We've been running GCSE Performing Arts for 4 years now although it's only taught by Drama teachers. It would be very easy to teach through music also.
    We do the single award GCSE which is just units 1 and 2 and we do the whole course in y10 as we teach GCSE Drama in y11.(There is an option of double award GCSE which is units 1,2,3 and 4. We've pretty much just finished the course for this year and are about to start on GCSE Drama work . They did their practical exam last week and the coursework portfolio is due in just after easter. If you've got any questions feel free to ask, I know the course fairly well and will be happy to share what I've learned.

10. matthewcoe

matthewcoe New commenter

Dear Misssmile
    We are a school in the North east too, near Redcar. Bydales School in Marske on Sea TS11 6AR. Could you please email me with details of your school and address. Myself and the Music Teacher would love to come to see you/chat to you and see how you run Performing Arts GCSE if that's ok???!! mcoe@bydales-tc.org.uk. We start it in September and we just need some advice on how to run it effectively.
    Matthew Coe

11. matthewcoe

matthewcoe New commenter

We are a school in the North East too. Bydales School TS 11 6AR. Would you please email and myself and the Music Teacher would like to talk to you/visit you how you run the GCSE Performing Arts course if that's ok. mcoe@bydales-tc.org.uk. We plan to start teaching it in September 2012
    Would love to hear from you.
    Matthew Coe

12. matthewcoe

matthewcoe New commenter

Dear Misssmile
    We are a school in the North east too, near Redcar. Bydales School in Marske on Sea TS11 6AR. Could you please email me with details of your school and address. Myself and the Music Teacher would love to come to see you/chat to you and see how you run Performing Arts GCSE if that's ok???!! mcoe@bydales-tc.org.uk. We start it in September and we just need some advice on how to run it effectively.
    Matthew Coe

13. Hi,

I am Head of Drama and looking at running the AQA GSCE Performing Arts course for the first time... I teach in Poulton-le-Fylde. Would you be able to offer any support? And, or advice? Thankyou
    Katie

14. Hi, I live in Worsley and am about to start teaching GCSE Performing Arts in September. It is also a new course for the school. I would be really interested to make contact with you and maybe visit your school to see how you operate the course as you have been doing it for a few years. Could you let me know which school you are at if you are happy for me to contact you.
    Thanks
    Karen

15. Hi Am teaching the GCSE Performing arts in a high school in swinton manchester, The Swinton HIgh School, if you still need help then contact me anna welsh[​IMG]

16. Hi North West teachers, if you are still teaching AQA GCSE Perf Arts could you drop me an email on c.callaghan@todhigh.co.uk I have taught GCSE Dance and GCSE Drama but have just taken over from a teacher in the final stages of the PA course and have to pull it altogether. I am interested in how everyone does their portfolios (books, folders, quantity, broadness of study etc.) as this is different to the Drama and Dance courses.

I hope to hear from you soon x

17. Hi,

I know you posted this a year ago now but wondered if you had started the AQA GCSE Performing arts? I'm looking to start but could do with someone nearish to visit and take a look at how it is run.

Thanks,

Dan

18. Tasha0111

Tasha0111 New commenter

Hi Dan,

I'm in the same position as you and would love to be able to chat ideas through with someone.

I've got to teach it in a year with the Head of Music. Feeling a little lost with it at the moment.

Tasha

19. Hi, I'm in the same boat as the above person and would love to pop and see how you run the course and maybe a look at some pupils work. If you would be happy to have me please could you email me at d.ray@melior.org.uk ? Your help would be much appreciated!

20. Sorry Tasha only just seen your post. Where are you? Although I feel pretty useless with this, I'd love to have a chat with you to see how you have interpreted the spec. I don't check on here too often and it doesn't tell me when anyone has replied to a post. My email is d.ray@melior.org.uk