1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE people - how were your results? Help please?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Aug 26, 2011.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Hi
    As you will know if you have been reading prior posts, myself (and lots of others) are planning the move from OCR to AQA. However, OCR seem to have listened and results are not as bad as expected. Before my final decision would be very interested to hear from AQA folk how they feel about their results. Basically as per expectation or not? My feeling is I will still go to AQA as I can then cover the full course for everyone where-as with an hour a week don't feel this can be done on the new OCR spec. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in anticipation.

2. san38

san38 New commenter

Hi
    As you will know if you have been reading prior posts, myself (and lots of others) are planning the move from OCR to AQA. However, OCR seem to have listened and results are not as bad as expected. Before my final decision would be very interested to hear from AQA folk how they feel about their results. Basically as per expectation or not? My feeling is I will still go to AQA as I can then cover the full course for everyone where-as with an hour a week don't feel this can be done on the new OCR spec. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in anticipation.

3. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

We have covered the OCR spec on an hour a week - saying that, we are considering a move to AQA as well. I am still not the happiest with OCR as our C/D borderlines did appear to suffer. Just crunching the numbers against FFT forecasts as that is the bottom line.

Will be having this chat next week with our head of Humanities. Knowing the AQA results will help a lot!

xx

4. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Not good. A lot lower than we expected (got very good results last year). We thought the paper was a lot harder than last year but AQA seem to have viewed it as easier going by the UMS. :(

5. believe81

believe81 New commenter

Hi,
    We do AQA Unit 2 - Religion and Life Issues & Unit 3 - Religion and Morality.
    We achieved 90% A-C grades. Everyone targetted C or above achieved C or above. Students did better in Unit 3. We are very pleased with results. These students achieved the same as they did last year in the first unit.
    Hope this helps.
    B

6. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

I've checked on the enhanced results service for unit 2, and nationally the A*-C grades have dropped from 70% last year to 58% this year :(

7. Yep, I am worried about AQA. Our year 10s did Unit 1 last year and got great results and this year our year 10s doing the same unit received very disappointing results and I cannot figure out what went wrong???

8. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

This is very worrying. Has anyone contacted AQA regarding their results?
    It is frustrating as you can't request copies of scripts for GCSE, only the originals. Of course as soon as you request the originals then you can't request a remark :(

9. delahay

delahay New commenter

AQA long course results were excellent- 90% A/A*. However OCR short course results were again awful for B602 which the year ten take, but much better for B603 which the year eleven take. Cannot understand why the year tens did so badly again. I have one of my students who is on a gifted and talented programme and who reads philosophy books and he only scraped an A. He never wrote anything less than an A* for me. I have decided that I will not put a year ten cohort in next year (it is going anyway) and that I will ditch B602 and do B604 instead. How have the results been for B604?

10. Also had **** results for AQA topic 4. last year we got 72%. This year we only got 37%. Even assuming the later year group have a lower ability, this still represents a massive reduction in one year, with the same teachers, teaching better!

I'm mystified!

11. pete14

pete14 New commenter

Some interesting coments on this thread but according to AQA website, in spec B, A* - C rates are comparable with previous years - full course A* - C = 74.3% and short course A* - C = 50.4%.
    Obviously, things have gone wrong in some schools but in most, they must have gone right.

12. carylanna

carylanna New commenter

As our school begins GCSE in year 9 I decided to experiment and put year 9 in to to AQA Unit 3 exam at the end of their first year. Results were brilliant - 95% A - C.
    This year my year 9 group got only 33% A - C. A massive difference even taken into account this was was slightly lower in ablility. Big concerns about this.

I too am mystified!!!

13. carylanna

carylanna New commenter

As our school begins GCSE in year 9 I decided to experiment and put year 9 in to do AQA Unit 3 exam at the end of their first year. Results were brilliant - 95% A - C.
    This year my year 9 group got only 33% A - C. A massive difference even taking into account this group was slightly lower in ablility. Big concerns about this.

I too am mystified!!!

14. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

It must depend on the unit, Pete. On Unit 2 the national A*-C rates have gone down by 12%: 70% last year and 58% this year.

15. I appreciate what people are saying about getting good results in their school/nationally the A*-C is comparable with other years. However, there are hundreds of examiners and so there is always the possibility that individuals may have been stricter/ not known the paper as well, etc. (There is also a chance that the students just didn't do as well as previous years, so I am certainly not blaming the examiners - it is just a possibility!)
    On a different exam board 2 years ago we had some very dodgy results so we sent back the 4 that were most puzzling. They changed them significantly and asked for the whole cohort back (free of charge) - 22 students had their grade changed.
    I would say send back some that you are sure should have performed better and any who were 2-3 marks off a C. They will remark and adjust grades if needs be. This will put your mid at rest. But be prepared that students may just have performed worse for some reason or other.
    Ours were shocking this year, on another exam board and although I would love there to be any other reason, our Year 11s just did not pull their weight. We taught what we needed to teach, provided extra classes, revision packs, etc and our results still almost halved. SMT were aware that large numbers weren't working and it was a problem across all subjects with a significant number. We still taught and those that wanted to learn achieved 1-3 grades above target, so there was no question of where fault lies.
    Good luck!

16. I'm in the same position as others of you - total mystification... For paper 2 our results were 32% lower than previously and A* candidates got Cs. I've contacted the exam board and have written a very curt email to them. So far, I've had no reply. We will be going for re-marks as these results are in no way comparable to our students' abilities. I certainly find it interesting that the A*-C for paper 2 has gone down overall by so much. They should have a comparable amount for each paper to make it fairer. The exam paper was definitely more challenging than in the previous year.

17. Also, is there any chance that people who have results from last summer for papers 1, 3 and 4 could tell me what percentage students from all AQA centres got for A*/A and A*-C for both 2010 and 2011. This would help me to build up a picture to present to the exam board. It makes no sense to me that 74% of students for AQA got A*-C overall when in paper 2 only 58% did and in paper 1 only 53% did across the country. If that is the case then then some papers were easier than others. It looks to me that there hasn't been cross moderation between papers as a similar number should get A*-C in each paper to make it fairer.

18. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I may be wrong but I think there is some confusion in some of the figures used in the last few posts. I don't know where the statistics for individual units have come from but I suspect that they are for full course (74% A* -C) and short course (50% A* -C) combined. This would explain why some units seem to be lower than others because perhaps a larger proportion of entries for some units are for short course which would reduce the overall A* -C rate on these units. Overall rates for A* -C in the range of 55- 60% would seem to be about right. Maybe unit 1 was predominantly short course or had a slightly weaker cohort taking the paper.

19. The difference in those entered for short and long course GCSE might account for this, thanks, although I still believe there should be moderation between papers to ensure similarity of grades, and the raw marks have gone up by 7 for a C-grade on paper 2...
    Regardless, can I ask if anyone else is complaining about the Religion and Life paper 2 results this summer, or considering it??

20. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

We are Felicity. Seemed a much harder paper than last year but AQA seem to think it was easier. Last year a UMS of 71 got you an A. This year it got you a B.

Very cross that you can't get copies of papers back. You can only get the original and then can't apply for a remark. :(