1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE November Results - Just plain wrong?

Discussion in 'English' started by bgr78, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed huge discrepancies between Paper one and two marking in the November exam results?
    Enhanced results analysis has revealed that we are way down on P2 compared to P1 and this has never been the case. Some of the marks given differ so greatly between the two writing papers that it looks like two different kids must have written them. This is across the board and not just with one or two. We taught the same stuff, had similar mock results, nowt changed etc.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers
    BGR

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We had the same issue, and have sent for a sample of scripts. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it.

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

We haven't had any November entries, but back in the summer we have a massive disparity between p1 and p2 too, but p1 was marked far more harshly. We had children getting 11 and 6 on paper 1, but only 5 and 3 on paper 1.

4. We've had massive differences; I personally can't figure it out. For example, one child got 15 and 7 on paper 1 section B, but only 9 and 4 on section B of paper 2.

5. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

It wouldn't fill me with any confidence in the marking to see such disparity but have you considered that it may just be the differing nature of the tasks? Some students may just do a lot better at say, writing to describe than writing to persuade or vice versa? Sometimes, they just make a poor choice of task and let themselves down, or run out of time. I would ask for a sample of papers back and see if there are valid reasons for the discrepancy. If you can't see one, request a remark.

6. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/432573.aspx?PageIndex=1
    I commented on my school's experience with this in the summer, on another thread, above.
    We noticed exactly the same discrepancy between papers. 26 of our students went up a grade after the papers were re-marked.

7. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We have noticed exactly the same thing with our school. It was a last minute decision to go for early entry to bank as many grades as we could, but looking at the top set marks (who were always going for early entry) some students are getting Bs on Paper 1 and Es on Paper 2. Are also requesting re-marking for some and will see what happens. It's almost as if the marking hasn't been checked properly ... [​IMG]

8. Not just AQA, either. We are WJEC and HT paper 1 was much lower than p2 or FT papers. We are requesting a couple of remarks for some of the dozen students who missed a C by one mark and requesting a couple of papers to look at what some of them did from students who missed their target grade by a couple of marks - that's targets from A to D so we have a range.

9. bgr1978

bgr1978 New commenter

Thanks for replies guys. Lots of help - most of all the 26 grade improvements!!!