1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE New Specification

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gsglover, Nov 30, 2015.

1. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

i see that the MFL GCSE New Spec has been approved

2. VladimirUnmoderated

VladimirUnmoderated New commenter

Ah, so they've made it even easier again, have they?

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I've had a go at creating a French writing assessment in the style of the new AQA GCSE to fit Studio 2 module 2 (Paris, je t'adore) to help our Y8 pupils become familiar with the new requirements. Does anyone want me to upload the resources?

4. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

That would be great, BrightonEarly.

We've moved towards new GCSE style assessments in the sense that we're now giving pupils a "blind" writing task at the end of a module (ie: testing stuff they've done, but they can't draft and memorise in advance because they don't know the task). We're also getting them to write without access to a dictionary or their books.

Tasks are currently similar style to before, but we're expecting them to write shorter, more straightforward pieces with a focus on accurate verbs (rather than a lot of fancy waffling, CA style.

Now the new spec is out and written tasks are set in the TL, we'll start transitioning towards that, but for this term we've set tasks in English. The tasks we're setting are along the lines of the 90-word Crossover task in AQA (4 bullet points, clearly eliciting differet tenses).

5. BrightonEarly

6. BrightonEarly

I shall post the resources tomorrow, I have also prepared support resources in case teachers still wish to allow KS3 pupils to produce a script to memorise at home. It's important that we share resources in the early days of the new GCSE and that younger pupils are helped to be GCSE ready.

7. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

Any idea when new resources like text books for AQA will be available?

8. BrightonEarly

I have now posted the resources on TES - in the 'free' section! Search for me as an author.

9. toadman

Thanks

10. Francessucdiamond

Francessucdiamond New commenter

Is anyone going to buy books for next year for GCSE French? There seem to be loads of things to use at a cost such as the alphiecloud.com, exampro.co.uk and teachit.co.uk. Will there be a decent textbook? Any advice welcome.

11. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

We're not going to rush out an buy new textbooks as we've had our current Edexcel ones for less than 3 years. We use them to complement our own resources rather than following them strictly, so aspects of them will still be useful for the new course.

I'm just adapting my teaching style to focus more on getting pupils to internalise the basics (core vocabulary, grammar rules, common verbs in 3 tenses) rather than shoehorning in a load of advanced structures and fancy phrases that they don't fully understand.

Brillantina likes this.
  12. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

There will be plenty of changes so perhaps people will buy the new books

13. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche Occasional commenter

We're going to have to buy new books - our old ones are dated 1999 (Métro 4) and we just cannot continue with them. We've resisted updating before now, partly because the expense is immense, and partly as we couldn't see the Controlled Assessment lasting long.
    Now, however, we have no choice - there's not a lot in Metro that corresponds to the syllabus any more.
    We're waiting for delivery (in May) of the only new purpose-written textbook I can find. From Pearson Education.

14. toadman

There will be others. OUP has one for sure