1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Music - Unit 2: Composing and Appraising Music 42702

Discussion in 'Music' started by Furry Melon, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Hello
    Its the first time I've taught this board. On their website it states that the strands of learning associated with the Unit 2 Composition module are as follows:
    2011 The Western Classical Tradition
    2012 Popular Music of the 20th and 21st Centuries
    2013 World Music
    Does this mean that for my current Year 10s (who will take the final exam in 2012), their strand should be Popular Music of the 20th and 21st Centuries?
    I know it seems like a silly questions, but I'm really anxious not to get it wrong!

2. Hello
    Its the first time I've taught this board. On their website it states that the strands of learning associated with the Unit 2 Composition module are as follows:
    2011 The Western Classical Tradition
    2012 Popular Music of the 20th and 21st Centuries
    2013 World Music
    Does this mean that for my current Year 10s (who will take the final exam in 2012), their strand should be Popular Music of the 20th and 21st Centuries?
    I know it seems like a silly questions, but I'm really anxious not to get it wrong!

3. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Hiya
    It depends when you are submitting the work. If you are submitting their coursework at the end of Year 10, then it will be Western Classical Tradition. If you are submitting it at the end of year 11 then it will be the Popular music one.
    This is how I've figured it out anyhow!
    Dilly

4. Hi,
    Thanks for the reponse!
    I guess I'll be submitting all their coursework (and performances) towards the end of Y11? They're in Y10 now. So that'll be 2012.
    Looks like its the Popular Music one then . . .
    Anyone - please do jump in if I'm about to make a big mistake!!!
    Thanks!

5. r_l

r_l

Yes you are correct - well at least I hope you are as I am in same situation. Doing Classical music strand with year 11 and pop with year 10. [​IMG]

6. If you're ever in doubt, I've found our coursework advisor really helpful. The AQA music staff are great at advising you, and reassuring! I'm about the start unit 2 with year 11s. A bit later than I"d planned but we'll get it all done in time. Hopefully...

7. hi there, how have you got on with writing up the appraisal? The website for AQA is not that helpful as their model answers are for western classical tradition.
    I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice?