1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE MUSIC HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ClaireMusic, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ClaireMusic

ClaireMusic New commenter

Hi All. I have inherited a year 11 GCSE music group in my new school. I haven't taught AQA for some years as my preferred board is EDEXCEL. These students have written very complicated compositions started with their previous music teacher. They have composed them using a sequencing software called Reason. I'm sorry to say that I have never heard of it before as I am a traditional Sibelius girl! ;)
    This software has no option to score the work and these compositions are so intricate that even I am having difficulty scoring them! They have been recorded straight into the computer and then edited. So I am at a loss. I don't know how we are going to get these compositions scored in time as obviously I cannot do it for them and I am completely unwilling to.
    I tried the transcribing add on in Sibelius but it didn't work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as we are slowly running out of time and I am new to this school and cannot screw this up. I HAVE INHERITED A HUGE MESS!!
    HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

2. ClaireMusic

ClaireMusic New commenter

PS. Please feel free to send me any advice. I would really appreciate it.
    THANK YOU!!!!!

3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Personally, I've used it once. I don't know how much help I'm going to be.

I've found this link

http://www.reason101.net/general-soundboard/top-10-reason-pitfalls/.

My understanding (reading point 1) is that you should be able to 'export ' a MIDI file and then import into Sibelius (or any other notation software)
    Look for 'Export' or 'Save as' .

A lot will depend on your version, and of course if "audio' files have been used - audio can not easily be converted to MIDI (and then imported into a notation program). Also,is Reason used as a standalone package, or as part of another sequencer eg. Cubase?

http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6191
    Again, this poster needs to do the same as you, albeit with Notion software.

If Reason has been used with another sequencer (eg Cubase etc.) then export the 'MIDI' file from that sequencer.

Reason does have a forum for help

http://www.reasonforums.com/

And also

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/ are also ok.

However, when transferring MIDI data between sequencers, it can lead to all sorts of problems.

Hope this helps!

By the way, you could post this on the Music forum as well. Someone else may have had the ery same problem, or come up with a different solution (eg the method of notation required by the exam board)

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

PS. When posting on the above forums, give as much detail as possible
    ie. which version of Reason you are using, any softsynths imported, whether it is used through another Sequencer - which one, version etc.

The forums are used by a variety of people, Musicians, performers, and programmers - who have a good knowledge base of the software.

5. AQAEducation

AQAEducation New commenter

Hi, our Subject Advisers are experienced teachers and can answer questions on any aspect of the Music specifications.

Please call the AQA Music Team directly on 01483 437750 or email us at music@aqa.org.uk and we can give you contact details for your allocated Subject Adviser who will be able to help you with your query.

6. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I haven't taught Aqa before, but neither OCR nor edexcel have a requirement to submit a notated score with a composition. A screenshot of the piece in reason or a student's notes about the structure should be sufficient. Obviously, check with your Aqa subject advisor, but I suspect this isn't as much of a problem as you think.