1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Media Studies New Spec

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by klb221, May 4, 2017.

1. klb221

klb221 New commenter

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone else has decided to go with the AQA Media Studies course, or if you have gone for a different exam board for the new spec?

My school is using AQA and I have been given a temporary TLR to get the new course planned before the end of the year. However, as the spec is still a draft, I am clearly finding this difficult, especially as I have never planned a full course before.

Has anyone actually started planning anything at all yet, or is everyone waiting until the courses are accredited? Does anyone know how long it might be until they are accredited?

Cheers,
    Kelly.

2. klb221

klb221 New commenter

Just to note, this is for the GCSE.

3. Tanya_Davison

Tanya_Davison New commenter

I am in the same boat as you and as of yet have not started planning anything for the new AQA spec as it is only a draft and therefore their could be changes so I am unsure how much to do until it is approved.
    I am also struggling/ worrying of where to start and how to go about it. I am hoping that once is it approved there may be some more guidance with it.
    Sorry that I am no help.
    Tanya

4. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

I don't have to plan for the new GCSE spec as I am heading to a new school that only runs Sixth Form Media but I am in the process of planning a new SoW for the new specs. I can't really help with the specifics of the specification but if you are talking generally how to go about things my approach is something like this:

- Decide which terms you are going to use for covering different parts of the spec - I'd always advise leaving at least the term around Easter as a revision term for the exam classes.
    - Work out how many lessons a week you have with a group so that you can then break down that term into a set number of lessons.
    - For each of those lessons start with something simple like establishing the LO for the lesson or outlining what the lesson will cover in a sentence or two.
    - From there comes the nitty gritty of working on individual lessons - I'm aiming to get my first 8-10 weeks fully prepped by September so that I am 'good to go' and can then use 'free' time during the year to start working on the period after Christmas etc.

I hope this helps in some way? It's a bit of a mammoth task but once you've got your spec chosen and confirmed then you should hopefully find it a bit easier!

5. d_sarfraz

d_sarfraz New commenter

We're currently planning as I write this! My colleague just called AQA asking a few questions and they could not answer thing about when the spec will be ready and resourced. They just said everything will be ready by 1st Sept. We've just decided to change spec now as we can't wait till 1st Sept which is the first week of teaching for us. Eduqas seems to have everything ready for the next term...

6. Hellsbells86

Hellsbells86 New commenter

Also, to help you with this, there is a CSP booklet n the AQA website. This has been quite useful in preparation for the coursework and exam and gives you everything that would expect the students to know.

7. weens28

weens28 New commenter

I have now decided to go with the eduqu spec. The course has been approved since March and there are many resources already on their website. The training course, in London, was very well organised and delivered with honesty and clarity. Where I have always used AQA before I found theirs too confusing. Most of the delegates at the eduqa training were AQA people who felt the same and were also switching over. It may be worth your while taking a look at this. Best of luck!

8. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

AQA is now preparing its sixth specification submission to Ofqual...

9. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

That's pretty shocking! What are they getting so wrong? Bizarre.

10. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

11. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Yes, that is true. I know Eduqas has to change some text at Ofqual's request (though Ofqual has been vetoing set texts in English for years).

The only caveat I'd attached is that there is a large overlap between people who make up the MEA (whose article you quote) and people who make up OCR. OCR has had almost as much difficulty getting its specs through as AQA. This may explain the somewhat emotive and frustrated tone of the MEA's article!

12. stevephilip

stevephilip New commenter

I am going with the accredited EDUQAS. At the moment it's not guaranteed that OCR's A level and AQA's GCSE/A Level would be accredited in time for late summer term planning to take place. The amount of preparation work is substantial as far as I can gather for both GCSE and A Level curriculums. Can we really afford the time to miss out planning during these weeks of Gain Time for most of us? There's a great deal of content but also a requirement to deliver this material in the most accessible and engaging way, this takes time to plan.
    The alternative MEA proposal is this:
    "A more sensible route would be to spend the first year of the course simply doing things you have done in the past – getting students interested in the subject, helping them to get a broad understanding of media texts and ideas (beyond the DfE’s bizarre list of 19 compulsory ‘theorists’) and building their creative and analytical skills."

Well good luck with that approach of teaching set texts within one year, plus additional theorists.