1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Media Exam Pre-Release Brief

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Sealhawk, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying being back for another term! On Monday my exams officer is due to give me the exam pre-release material but having never done the GCSE Media course before I was wondering if others could offer some insight into how you approach lesson time with the students once they have received the brief? I am conscious that the exam board instruction advises us to be 'hands off' at this point but I am not sure as to what I can/can't do in terms of guidance etc.

How have others taught/structured this part of the course in the past?

Thanks.

2. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

In the past I have purchased students the Zig Zag revision guides, and got them to use the lessons to work their way through the revision tasks in the booklets in lessons, whilst I go round and do one to one help etc.

You should also spend a couple of lessons going through the pre-released brief with them, helping them to understand what it means, what it is asking etc.

Lots of lessons coming up with ideas for their own game shows in response to the brief, pitching their ideas verbally to other students, writing their pitches up and peer marking them. I normally also get them to practise all the different possible practical tasks in relation to their game show idea too, so designing the website, storyboarding the opening sequence, designing the look of the app, coming up with ideas for merchandise etc. You can spend at least one lesson on each of those tasks.

Then as the exam gets closer, lots of practise questions, getting them to try doing them quickly (roughly 22 mins per question as per the exam) so by the time you get to the exam, they have drawn their starboard 3 or 4 times and can more easily do it in the time limit. They have written their pitch out several times and can do it in the time limit.

I also get students to make revision posters on maybe 2 or 3 case studies e.g. one poster for Deal Or No Deal, one for Five Gold Rings, one for Who Wants To Be A Millionaire etc. Posters contain visual stimulus, as well a key facts they might want to remember for each show.

Sometimes they also make their own flashcards in class for key words or theories. I've also used online revision tools to get them to make their own word clouds, fill in the blank worksheets, crosswords, word searches etc. All good ways of getting the key words cemented in their heads.

Whilst all of these activities are going on, I basically work my way round the room doing one to one tutorials with students, giving them feedback on the work they have done planning their own shows / draft design work etc.

3. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

Thanks for such a detailed response, much appreciated. This is useful as I was finding it hard to judge how 'hands on' I could be in terms of teaching. I think once we've discussed the brief with the students I will run the remaining lessons as their choice between some of these different activities - could actually be quite a nice way to head towards the exam whilst offering some variety and interesting options!

Not long left now - light at the end of a dark tunnel! :)

4. Fidgetrainbowtree

Fidgetrainbowtree New commenter

Good luck to everyone's students - they're in now - nothing more we can do!

Sealhawk likes this.