1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Maths 8300 - Sample Assessments set 3 (marks and boundaries)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by liverpoolcheesetoast, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. liverpoolcheesetoast

liverpoolcheesetoast New commenter

Hi,

My school is based on the North West and I'm look for some comparions/guidance on the marks.

We have just sat the full AQA Sample Assessment Set 3 with our year 11. We have used the online results service, but were still waiting for national percentiles.

I'm a little concerned that our averages are low. Our middle of the road class (old C/D boundary) are getting 42% overall on the foundation and the average for the higher papers being 28% overall.

Are people seeing a similar picture? What are people doing for grade boundaries?

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

For your Foundation paper CD borderliners, that seems about right. I reckon a 5 is coming in somewhere around 55/80 per paper, 4 about 40/80.

Not sure about your Higher Tier results - need more context to compare, but our experience at Higher is that, for our arbitrary set of exam grade boundaries, set 1s will be feasting on grades 5-9 and anyone else is lucky if they get a 4, perhaps the odd 5 here and there. 7 boundary about 40/80, perhaps less. 4 would be around 16, 5 about 24, 6 about 32/80. I'm just basing these on previous mock results, and where they ended up. And there are big margins for error!

I'm all for raising standards but fear we're about to create a new generation of students who hate everything about maths and are completely put off because there's just no reward for them, no chance of really getting into these papers and coping with the bulk of the questions.

I don't know much about any other subject, but I'd bet that, for the vast majority of them, students are able to work through the entire papers and have a genuine attempt at every question. I know maths is slightly different, but these papers are pitched badly for the masses. Why can't the clever ones be stretched by the L2 Further Maths exam and the GCSE provide a higher tier where a far greater proportion stands a chance of getting something from the second half of the paper?

strawbs likes this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

great post @googolplex - couldn't agree more. And don't forget about Trig on foundation - why??????????

4. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

Agree that it is not a topic for the students we would historically consider "foundation", but we are having to have a bit of a mindset change about which kids those are under the new GCSE. And rightly or wrongly, if things like trig weren't on the Foundation paper under the new GCSE, then we would effectively be back to the days of the old old Foundation papers that only went up to a D - ie. any student entered for Foundation being immediately condemned to not being able to achieve "a good pass" (DfE terminology not mine) no matter how well they fare in the paper.

As for the boundaries for the AQA set 3, we have currently gone with the same as we used for set 2, which were a collaboration across a handful of schools in Northants:
    [​IMG]

They're not wildly different from Googolplex's suggestions, which is reassuring for both parties, although they don't match so well at the top end. It's quite scary what a s**tty deal we're currently giving to our Y11s up and down the country where kids who sit the exact same paper are being given different (and in some cases, *cough*PiXL*cough*, wildly different) indications of where they are currently working, and no way of knowing which indication is correct.