1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Literature exam - quick marking question...

Discussion in 'English' started by CarolineEm, Apr 18, 2012.

1. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

In Section B of the Literature exam (we are doing Of Mice and Men) in answering the first part of the question (details in the passage) do students have to use terminology (Steinbeck uses direct speech / repetition / emotive language / metaphor) or can they be more general - (Steinbeck presents Crook's room as being "swept and fairly neat" which shows that he takes pride in his surroundings despite no-one else ever entering... Crook's "scowl" when Lennie appears in the doorway suggests he may be wary of white people...)
    My students are focusing well on detail in the passage, but are the above examples sufficient to be considered analysis / evaluation? I've looked at examiner's feedback but it isn't really clear from there.
    Many thanks for any help here; trying to give as accurate feedback as possible for timed essays!

2. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

In Section B of the Literature exam (we are doing Of Mice and Men) in answering the first part of the question (details in the passage) do students have to use terminology (Steinbeck uses direct speech / repetition / emotive language / metaphor) or can they be more general - (Steinbeck presents Crook's room as being "swept and fairly neat" which shows that he takes pride in his surroundings despite no-one else ever entering... Crook's "scowl" when Lennie appears in the doorway suggests he may be wary of white people...)
    My students are focusing well on detail in the passage, but are the above examples sufficient to be considered analysis / evaluation? I've looked at examiner's feedback but it isn't really clear from there.
    Many thanks for any help here; trying to give as accurate feedback as possible for timed essays!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I would say your examples are Band 3 "details used to support interpretation" at best. For analysis, I'd be expecting comment about JS using Crooks' body language to reflect his attitude and a connection to something he says for it to look like analysis. I don't think they have to use terminology but there does need to be an understanding of the writer's methods beyond, "he presents the room" or "he uses the word 'scowl" and there needs to be detailed comment on the effects rather than straightforward explanation for the higher bands. I haven't examined this paper, but this is the approach I'm taking with my students.

4. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I mark this paper. I'd say D - details supporting points - too.

5. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Thank you so much for prompt and helpful replies. They were doing fine until we did Crook's room - which is highly descriptive, so they did rather fall into "this word / that word", compared to a previous passage we did which had direct speech, imagery, repetition, questions, ellipsis and they were able to discuss in detail the <u>effects </u>of these. In this one, where Steinbeck uses description of the room to present the character, they found that much more difficult. I will look carefully at your advice (and any more anyone offers) and feed this back to them through my teaching and marking.

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

The AO2 descriptor on the Literature mark schemes refers to "writers' choices of language, form and structure" so words are the most important thing the students should be referring to and analysing. Other devices are welcome but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that discussion of features, techniques and devices is the pinnacle of achievement - over- emphasis on these may be detrimental to achievement in the long run.

7. Have you seen the full mark/Band 6 scripts that are online on e-aqa?

(I think they are under "Secure Key Materials" and "Teacher Support Materials" once you have gone onto the English Literature page...)

8. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Thank you Lewiss, I hadn't seen the full-mark section B only one - that was really useful and I will share it with my students. It also helps support the points that colleagues have made above - full marks can be achieved without detailing specific narrative techniques - it is the depth of analysis which is important here. Again, thank you for all your support.