1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Listening help

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ChocolateChunk, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Dear all,

Our students have just completed their Mocks. Our results are good as a whole for all skills except for the Listening, especially for those who took the Higher paper.
    Most students performed well for the multiple choice answer, but they really struggled for all questions to be answered in English.
    It is my third year and I have always struggled to find and create meaningful resources. As there is currently no Head of Department, the rest of the team and I have to navigate without him. Which websites and activities would you recommend for German, Spanish and French that I could have them doing in lessons, and for them to do independently?

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

@ChocolateChunk - Digital textbooks have the facility for individual pupils to log on and complete listening activities. You should be able to contact course providers to find out how to set up pupil access class by class. However, I would trial an activity yourself to see if pupils can simply skip answering the questions.

If you have a digital textbook that you use in front of the class on an interactive whiteboard, ask your IT technician if this can be uploaded to the school intranet to allow individual pupils to complete listening activities from the book. They can then replay the recording as often as they need. Some digital textbooks come with levelled listening (and reading) activities to help pupils revise before assessments (especially KS3 courses).

How does each member of the department do listening activities with their classes? Do you all share ideas and resources?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Would you recommend any digital textbooks in particular? I'm looking for Spanish ones at the moment and am stuck for ideas.

Thanks

4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

@a_rooti We have been using Viva ActiveTeach and ActiveLearn (Pearson).

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Waka6

Waka6 New commenter

At our school we use AQA and the Kerboodle website for lots of resources. However, the listening activities are difficult unless the students are exposed to lots of language before hand. We are using a lot of Gianfranco Conti's type of exercises, listenings and micro-listenings to build up confidence before the actual textbook or exam style listenings. Visit his website at the Language Gym. If you ever get an opportunity to go to one of his lectures...I would recommend highly.

pascuam49 likes this.