1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Legacy Spec query - anthology

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by englishtt06, Jan 18, 2011.

1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I'm a WJEC boy who has moved schools and now teaching Year 11 AQA on the outgoing spec. The end of their Year 10 was messed up (supply teachers etc. and no one monitoring) so I'm trying to save as much time as possible. I have heard that for the anthology, there are certain 'key' poems that MUST be covered but no one seems to be able to tell me which ones and where to find this info (on the spec maybe?). Does anyone know off the top of their head? Is there a similar list for the Lit paper. Thanks in advance!

2. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Please ignore - I posted in the wrong forum.... Oops!

3. Hi,
    For English A you should pick a cluster - 1 or 2. I think there are about 8 poems in each cluster.
    For Literature Specification A you pick a pair - Duffy and Armitage or Heaney and Clarke. There are four key poems for each poet and then four pre-1914 poems. For the higher paper (which I assume you're doing?) the key poems for Duffy and Armitage (I don't do Heaney and Clarke!)are as follows:
    Duffy: Anne Hathaway; Before You Were Mine; Havisham; Stealing
    Armitage: Mother, Any Distance; Homecoming; Kid; Hitcher
    Pre-1914: Sonnet 130; My Last Duchess; On My First Sonne; The Laboratory
    The pre-1914 key poems are different for different poet pairs. I'm not sure if this information is still on the AQA site but it's what we're working to.
    Good luck!