1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE ICT coursework, unit 3

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gavcradd, Feb 19, 2012.

1. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Is anyone here delivering the AQA GCSE ICT course? We chose AQA for this over the other likely offerings because of good experiences with them previously (and correspondingly bad experience with Edexcel). I have to say so far that I'm very impressed with the unit 2 assignment and the exam coverage seems clear enough, but I'm just not that clear at all about the unit 3 coursework...
    First off, it seems MASSIVE in comparison to the unit 2 work, despite them both being supposedly equal. I don't see how on earth any of the samples that I've seen have been done in the 25 hour suggested limit. Secondly, the marking scheme seems confusing to the extreme, very few marks for the actual doing and lots of "waffly" marks for things like formatting, etc, which again are covered to death in the examples. Thirdly, there doesn't appear to be any design work needed except for the "milestones" that are again, confusing.
    Anyone got their head around it and kind enough to help me out? Any "real life" examples or suggestions of what exactly it is that I'm missing?
    Cheers! In return, I'm more than willing to share my resources for the unit 2, or offer any help for the other courses we run (OCR Nationals, GCSE Computing, AS/A2 ICT and Computing, all with OCR)

2. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Is anyone here delivering the AQA GCSE ICT course? We chose AQA for this over the other likely offerings because of good experiences with them previously (and correspondingly bad experience with Edexcel). I have to say so far that I'm very impressed with the unit 2 assignment and the exam coverage seems clear enough, but I'm just not that clear at all about the unit 3 coursework...
    First off, it seems MASSIVE in comparison to the unit 2 work, despite them both being supposedly equal. I don't see how on earth any of the samples that I've seen have been done in the 25 hour suggested limit. Secondly, the marking scheme seems confusing to the extreme, very few marks for the actual doing and lots of "waffly" marks for things like formatting, etc, which again are covered to death in the examples. Thirdly, there doesn't appear to be any design work needed except for the "milestones" that are again, confusing.
    Anyone got their head around it and kind enough to help me out? Any "real life" examples or suggestions of what exactly it is that I'm missing?
    Cheers! In return, I'm more than willing to share my resources for the unit 2, or offer any help for the other courses we run (OCR Nationals, GCSE Computing, AS/A2 ICT and Computing, all with OCR)

3. Unit 3 is exceptionally long, boring in the extreme, takes around 40 hours not 25 and students hate it without exception. We have resorted to cheating and just spoonfeed them through each task now, telling them exactly what they should write by giving them an (almost) identical pre-written assignmemt to the one they have to do and then coaching them closely with lots of feedback on making their own work seem unique.

AQA are a disgrace for bringing in controlled assessments of this poor quality. No wonder ICT is now a byword for 'muddle'.

4. I have just done OSCA for both Unit 2 & 3 of the AQA GCSE ICT.
    If they represent work that has been completed in 25 hrs (or thereabouts) I'll eat my shorts.
    I wasn't too far off in my marking for Unit 3 but worryingly out of tolerance for Unit 2. Unit 2 was way too niggly about things.
    The Unit 3 exemplars are so full of "guff", "waffle", whatever you want to call it, they brought a tear to my eye.

5. This is the worst piece of coursework I have come accross in 10 years. I contacted my coursework advisor saying that it is far to repetative and does not make sense as a document. She said the only repetativeness should be in formatting and developing information. I have not heard backk since I quoted her examples from the standardisation materials where the candidate basically had to write the same thing at least 3 times!
    Who can we complain to. I do not think I will do this coursework again when our Year 10's have finished it.
    Also why is developing information 3 sections after selecting information? You show the results before you show how you make it.

6. Hello,
    Please help, I am in need of whatever resources you have for unit 2 and 3. I am new to the course and teaching and have been told this is the course we must run.