1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE History B in a year

Discussion in 'History' started by Kara_2626, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hi,
    My school has decided that we will be teaching GCSE History aqa b in a year. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how to teach this?
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    My school has decided that we will be teaching GCSE History aqa b in a year. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how to teach this?
    Thanks

3. I've no experience of this, but im pretty sure I would be amazing at teaching gcse in a year

4. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

My advice is don't! It will be too intensive. Even though the content has been cut by approximately 25% from the old Spec. it is simply too much to expect the pupils to absorb the requiste material, sit two exams and do the Controlled Assessment, even with additional lessons, in one year. I suppose you are getting additional periods to do this? I have over 20 years experience of teaching GCSE and this idea is in my view completely bonkers. Fifteen years ago we tried to do this with hand-picked, top ability students in a selective school and gave it up as a bad job.

5. Having taught the very same spec, I think this is an absolutely mental idea. It was enough of a struggle to fit in the Unit 2 with my Year 11s as controlled assessments take up a large chunk of time. You also have to account for missed lessons, school trips, end of term last week or so etc etc which hinder you along the way. Are you also going to schedule in two mocks for this as well?

More worrying than anything, the kids will undoubtedly feel like exam factories and all love of learning what is an appealing specification to students of this age will probably be sucked out of them. If that was my HOD I would be doing everything I could to try and dissuade them.

6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

i would shake with horror at having to do it in a year...its hard to get P2 in as it is and the controlled assessments are a big time user. try not to do it!

7. Sorry for replying so late but it is still going ahead. As an NQT in my final term the pressure is on. Any tips and advice that you could share will be a massive help. Thank you very much.