1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Higher Reading

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by spsmith45, May 19, 2011.

1. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I wonder why the AQA publish vocab lists in their spec. I notice (please correct me if I am wrong) that the words "pelouse" in Q. 2b and "bâtiment" in 2c do not feature in the AQA spec.

Now, I can see why they would not wish to exclude every single word that isn't listed in the spec, but when the words are critical to a question, I just ask: why bother with a vocab list at all? Would it not be better to publish a longer, more exhaustive list which studenst could, if they wished, learn?

2. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Very popular programme with our pupils!

3. Both are in the specs.

4. ...and the question about festivals could have been answered by a little knowledge of Islam and muslim names. Hey you could argue that fasting is one of the dangerous activities.

One of my pupils worked out the bull chasing by remembering what clothes are worn at that particular festival - he'd seen it on tv.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

My lot found it hard. I thought it was quite a bit harder than the June 2010 and January 2011, which is fine as I thought those two papers were way too easy, but not really fair when you think some students will have got a grade they didn't deserve by sitting the paper early. I haven't compared thoroughly yet but first impression was that there was quite a bit more grammar involved (first time they needed to know present tense endings for others than "je") that last year. Is it about 10 points for grammar on this one, if I remember right? (two different exercices).
    I've just checked the vocab list and yes, both these words were included, so technically the hard-working students will have learned/revised it, but in practice I don't think we ever came across it before I gave them the revision list. I think that most of them will have seen "marcher" and assumed it was something to do with a market, which is a little devious.

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Hi belfastkraut - I couldn't find those words in the A-Z Higher list. I'll have another look.

7. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Apologies. I am wrong.

8. I thought the paper was so much more difficult than the previous papers! I took a risk to enter some for Higher thinking I was giving them a chance at a better grade! Now I think I've disadvantaged them! o well, lets wait and see! Thinking of changing boards !

9. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I'm waiting to see if the same thing happens in the German papers. After all, entry patterns have been decided based on the June and January papers, we don't really have anything else to use to make the decision between foundation and higher.

10. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

In the past, I have often been annoyed that the German papers were harder than the French.