1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Grade boundaries for coursework - HELP!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

OK, I may be being totally thick (and I have gone through older posts) but I still dont get the grade boundaries for AQA GCSE.. It looks totally straight forward in the spec:

<u>Unit 2 = 3 assignments</u>
    Assignment 1 analysis = out of 10
    Assignment 1 production = out of 5
    Assignment 2 Analysis = Out of 20
    Assignment 2 Production = Out of 10
    Assignment 3 Production = Out of 15
    Assignment 3 Evaluation = Out of 30

Therefore in my mind, the maximum mark for the Unit 2 Coursework is 90. I have graded each student's assignments with an appropriate mark out of 10 or mark out of 20 etc depending on the assignment no.

Now I go to add up their totals and see what sort of grades i'm looking at and find that later on in the SAME spec, it gives the mark boundaries for grades and has 120 as the top mark for A*... So where do these extra marks come from? Should I be changing all the marks on each of my students assignments as I have already done them all! GROAN!

I have seen a previous thread where someone posted a table they got directly from AQA showing the overall grade boundaries going up to 120 marks but with no explanation as to where those extra 30 marks come from or how they are allocated to each assignment and I have no idea what to do as I assume AQA will want individual grades for each assessment and I dont know which boundaries are right?

Help please?

x

2. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

OK, I may be being totally thick (and I have gone through older posts) but I still dont get the grade boundaries for AQA GCSE.. It looks totally straight forward in the spec:

<u>Unit 2 = 3 assignments</u>
    Assignment 1 analysis = out of 10
    Assignment 1 production = out of 5
    Assignment 2 Analysis = Out of 20
    Assignment 2 Production = Out of 10
    Assignment 3 Production = Out of 15
    Assignment 3 Evaluation = Out of 30

Therefore in my mind, the maximum mark for the Unit 2 Coursework is 90. I have graded each student's assignments with an appropriate mark out of 10 or mark out of 20 etc depending on the assignment no.

Now I go to add up their totals and see what sort of grades i'm looking at and find that later on in the SAME spec, it gives the mark boundaries for grades and has 120 as the top mark for A*... So where do these extra marks come from? Should I be changing all the marks on each of my students assignments as I have already done them all! GROAN!

I have seen a previous thread where someone posted a table they got directly from AQA showing the overall grade boundaries going up to 120 marks but with no explanation as to where those extra 30 marks come from or how they are allocated to each assignment and I have no idea what to do as I assume AQA will want individual grades for each assessment and I dont know which boundaries are right?

Help please?

x

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

These are not "extra" marks. The raw paper mark is out of 90. This is converted to a uniform mark (out of 120) based on the weighting of the paper in relation to the whole qualification and other factors. You give a mark on the paper. You do NOT calculate the uniform mark. In fact, until the grade boundaries are decided upon by AQA you CANNOT calculate the uniform mark.
    You can give ballpark grades for your own purposes, but I would AVOID passing them onto students unless you fully understand the way in which the system works (e.g. grade boundaries change each year on the RAW mark) and explain that your GRADE should not be treated as definite.
    AQA will want the MARKS (out of 90), they will not want you to calculate a grade. The grade boundaries for raw marks change each year. These could be several marks different. For last year, as far as I can tell you needed 66/90 to get an A. This would convert to 96/120 as a uniform mark.

For more information visit AQA website:
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_ums.php

4. For a range of reasons, I do give grades to students (with a disclaimer, based on info above)
    I worked out grade to UMS for each cwk2 at a GCSE InSeT + the trainer seemed to agree it, so I've used it with a clearish conscience:
    2-1 - UMS divivded by 8 (i.e. 120 is 15 x 8)
    2-2 - UMS divided by 4
    2-3- UMS divided by 8, multiplied by 3
    to grade folder overall, UMS multiplied by 0.75
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse:collapse;border:medium none;" class="MsoTableGrid"><tr><td style="padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;padding-top:0cm;border:windowtext 1pt solid;">Grade
    </td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Unit2-1</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Unit2-2</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Unit2-3</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">Folder Grade</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:windowtext 1pt solid;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">UMS</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">*</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">14 - 15</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">27 - 30</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">41 &ndash; 45</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">81+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">108 &ndash; 120</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">A</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">13</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">24 - 26</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">36 &ndash; 40</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">72+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">96 &ndash; 107</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">B</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">11 - 12</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">21 - 23</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">32 &ndash; 35</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">63+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">84 &ndash; 95</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">C</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">9 - 10</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">18 - 20</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">27 &ndash; 31</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">54+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">72 &ndash; 83</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">D</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">8</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">15 - 17</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">23 &ndash; 26</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">45+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">60 &ndash; 71</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">E</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">6 - 7</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">12 - 14</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">18 &ndash; 22</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">36+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">48 &ndash; 59</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">F</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">5</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">9 - 11</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">14 &ndash; 17</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">27+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">36 &ndash; 47</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">G</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">3 - 4</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">6 - 8</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">9 - 13</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">18+</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">24 - 35</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:69.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">calculation</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.15pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">UMS / 8</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:63.8pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">UMS / 4</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">UMS / 8 x 3</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:3cm;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">UMS x 0.75</td><td style="border-bottom:windowtext 1pt solid;border-left:#ece9d8;padding-bottom:0cm;background-color:transparent;padding-left:5.4pt;width:70.85pt;padding-right:5.4pt;border-top:#ece9d8;border-right:windowtext 1pt solid;padding-top:0cm;">-</td></tr></table>hope this helps,
    Ruby

5. As I said in this + other post, it was agreed by an AQA InSeT provider, with the proviso that boundaries change. I'm sorry it's either confused or been unuseful to anyone. My intention was to help.
    Ruby