1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Geography too hard!

Discussion in 'Geography' started by israhafeez, Jan 6, 2018.

?

AQA Geography GCSE new spec (9-1) too difficult compared to other exam boards?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. israhafeez

israhafeez New commenter

Hi all,

I have just started to realise how difficult the specimen papers are for AQA GCSE Geography!!

Most of the questions are so difficult to interpret and answer. It almost seems like the are asking something simple but expecting a completely complicated answer from pupils. Most answers seem like they need to be from pupils' OWN knowledge and not even from what they have learnt from textbooks or revision guides.

I then compared the AQA specimen papers to OCR and was actually shocked at how much easier the OCR paper was!! The questions were straightforward and the answers on the mark scheme were also very simple and straightforward. Both of these exam boards have new specifications and neither of them are using Higher or foundation tiers anymore.

Is there anyone else out there that thinks the AQA Geography papers/spec seems too hard and complicated? I feel like there is a lot of content to cover for AQA compared to OCR.

I just want to know that I am not the only one struggling with AQA!!

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I can't comment too closely as I'm not teaching AQA. The specimen papers for my course are also really tough. If OCR looks easier, rest assured that their grade boundaries will be higher.

AQA are advertising for examiners at the moment. Have you considered training as an examiner so you know how to access the mark scheme. Also look for mock marking training - it helped me a lot

All exam boards now have a lot more content. I wonder if you're looking at the grass on the other side and thinking it's greener - I bet you it isn't.

3. israhafeez

israhafeez New commenter

Yeah I guess the grade boundaries would be higher. I have been an examiner for OCR in the past and their mark scheme is a lot more simple and straight forward.

I have looked at AQA mark schemes whilst marking year 11 mocks and they just ask for a lot more in student answers compared with OCR.

I will just see how this year goes and then maybe think about making a change next year!

4. sshore1

sshore1 New commenter

Hey Israhafeez,

If you're looking to approach questions in different ways, there are lots of useful radio and TV resources available here!

http://era.org.uk/resources-case-studies/case-studies/revision-guides

I hope this helps!

Sam