1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Exploring Modern Texts Question

Discussion in 'English' started by sedaris, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    Does anyone know how much space/time/writing AQA recommends students spend on the context question in part B of this paper?
    Basically, for the Of Mice and Men question there are two parts, one on Steinbeck's methods and the other on the context of the novel. The whole question is worth 40 marks, but there is no breakdown on the exam and I haven't been able to find anything on the AQA website.
    Thanks!

2. Hello all,
    Does anyone know how much space/time/writing AQA recommends students spend on the context question in part B of this paper?
    Basically, for the Of Mice and Men question there are two parts, one on Steinbeck's methods and the other on the context of the novel. The whole question is worth 40 marks, but there is no breakdown on the exam and I haven't been able to find anything on the AQA website.
    Thanks!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

There are two sections and each is worth 30 marks. The OMAM question is in two parts and the other question is a straightforward essay question on the other text. The whole paper is 90 minutes and they are advised to spend 45 minutes on each section. That is, 45 mins on OMAM or other Cultures text and 45 minutes on the second text, the modern drama or prose.

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

I don't think they recommend a particular breakdown for the question parts a nad b. It seems that the question is actually marked as a whole, even though it is theoretically spilt into two parts.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Oh, I see. The context bit. Well, enough to cover those bullet points. I've told my class at least half a page but a page is probably enough. I think they should be writing more about the extract. AQA hasn't said though. I'm just going by the mark scheme.

6. As mentioned the question is marked as a whole, rather than in the two parts. Although part a is a good chance to display close analysis, part b needs time as they will have to draw on the whole text for evidence.
    I have recommended:
    5-10 mins - reading/ annotating extract/ planning
    15 mins - part a
    20 mins - part b
    Also remember that the spec indiates that most marks are allocated for AO4 (context) so they must make sure this is included.