1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Ensemble Performance for singers

Discussion in 'Music' started by princess_moose, Sep 9, 2012.

1. What sorts of ensembles does everyone submit for singers? Last year was my first year teaching it on my own and both my singers sang a song in a band. When I got my feedback this week, the moderator said that it the band were mostly accompanying the singer so my pupil did not show true ensemble skills.
    My new year 10s who are going to be entered this year as a trial are good, but there are lots of them and lots of singersand I don't want to short change them.

2. What sorts of ensembles does everyone submit for singers? Last year was my first year teaching it on my own and both my singers sang a song in a band. When I got my feedback this week, the moderator said that it the band were mostly accompanying the singer so my pupil did not show true ensemble skills.
    My new year 10s who are going to be entered this year as a trial are good, but there are lots of them and lots of singersand I don't want to short change them.

3. ineedsleep

ineedsleep New commenter

Look for some vocal duets with piano accompaniment. I know him do well from chess gets done a lot. My singers always get good marks with that one. 80s hair and shoulder pads are optional!
    INS

4. Yes, you should in fact avoid any situation for an ensemble where the person you are assessing takes anything like a leading role. What they like to see is a situation where the roles are broadly equal, or where the person being assessed is accompanying themselves - the student needs to be responding musically and technically to the other performances going on around them. A singer with aband behnid them might as well be performing to a backing track.
    I agree that vocal duets are the thing - or three part arrangements. You can get loads of SSA arrangements of quite up-to-date material which are intended for choirs but can be sung by a few soloists. Remember, however, that the part being played by the assessed student must NOT be doubled by any other part, dinger or piano part.
    I am about to record "You are not alone" from Singing Matters - have used this year after year, it's a duet. I get the students to swap roles on different verses just to highlight their expertise in part singing.