1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE English Language (New) Structure Question

Discussion in 'English' started by msv, Jan 21, 2016.

1. msv

msv New commenter

Hi all,

My students are really struggling with question 3 on the new language paper- it's the one based on structure.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas for practice extracts we could use to explore 'structure'?

Thanks in advance.

2. koneil

koneil New commenter

I've taught this using the opening of films and getting them to look at what the director focussed on first and why. E.g. I showed them opening of Lord of the flies film or War horse so they could see how they showed us setting or characters first...then I actually got them to do this with text. So what does the author show us first and why?Remember paragraphs show a change of focus so they can look at what the writer is focussing the reader on and why. Structure is about narrative voice, openings, changes in perspective, writer going from the outside to inside a setting or inside a character's head , looking at what they end on ...it's not about sentences so much

3. koneil

koneil New commenter

I did this question on a low ability set on Crooks chap 4 in Of Mice and Men and they became really interested in all the objects and possessions that tell us about him before there is a physical description. They discussed why the writer does it this way round...

4. Tinkabear

Tinkabear New commenter

Hello, I am about to start teaching the AQA GCSE English - any other pitfalls to look out for?

Also, has your school restructured the KS3 teaching to be more in line with the new GCSE?

Finally, is everyone still using the APP / AFs for KS3?

5. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Did you or anyone in your department attend the 'preparing to teach' course? Quite a bit of time was spent looking at structure: you can find the documents that were used on the course on the AQA English homepage I think.

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

Move over to Twitter! All sorts of resources being shared on structure and other aspects (with no charge). Not been on TES for ages, and it seems a very barren place nowadays, with some questions not even attracting a single answer :(

7. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Thanks, I'm looking but zero so far...Could you post some links?

8. becorleansky

becorleansky New commenter

EXAMPRO is really good for model answers. In terms of tackling this question, I've just finished a sequence of lessons on dystopian novels. The students have written their own story openings and then they have swapped books and analysed how their peer has structured the writing. It has worked really well.

9. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Yes, the exampro website is good, as are the approved AQA textbooks. A colleague also recently attended a marking course, run by AQA, which gave them lots of exemplars.

The textbook recommended a camera lens type approach as mentioned above and AQA produced a resource (might've been in the prepare to teach seminars) which had useful questions - what? who? where? when? which were expanded to meet the demands of the structure question.

I'm also focusing a lot on sentence and clause structure, active/passive voice so they can talk about grammatical choices more specifically linking it to the order in which the writer chooses to reveal things to the reader. Again, I think the textbooks have some short exemplar responses.

Another good resource are the sample AQA KS3 papers which have short exemplar paragraphs in the mark scheme. Although not using this as they stand, we are adding structural questions into our KS3 exams to reflect the new GCSE structure.